Good rooster turned bad

I had to start somewhere too, just like everyone else. My first flock, consisted of red sex-links. 1 cockerel, 4 hens. Due to my lack of experience, and a couple circumstances beyond my control, when the rooster was a little over a year old, he got really mean. Mean enough I was afraid of him.

To care for my chickens, I used a long handled fish net, would catch him, and put him in a cage, tended my coop chores, then let him out. It went on like this for months. While it worked, it took the pleasure out of chickenkeeping for me.

That's when I read the method I first posted. It took 3 weeks of solid training, before I could work in my coop, without any aggression from him. I still didn't pick up a hen unless he was caged, but at least I could do everything else. Over a few months, he finally got to where I could even pick up the hens, them squawking, and him going about his business. He never again showed any aggression towards me. Was he totally cured? Dh would occasionally go put freshly cut grass in the run. I told him he had to walk towards the the rooster, and get him moving out of his way first. Did Dh listen? Of course not. In he walks with a pile of fresh grass, dropped it, and the rooster came flying at him. It spurred him pretty bad. I never had to tell him again to get the rooster moving first, then do whatever.

If the OP is still here, my advice is to get this cockerel out of your life, either into your freezer, or someone else's. He's dangerous, and won't ever be really 'safe', especially for children, yours, or any others.
Next year, consider raising some chicks and try again. You will have more experience, and your hens will help make any reasonable cockerels humble.
Human aggressive roosters just aren't worth it, and don't need to be in the gene pool either.
Life is too short to need a weapon around your chickens! While he's stalking you, he's not taking care of his flockmates either. Attacking the giants who bring food is STUPID!
Mary

Well eating him is a last resort. We love him. Had 6 boys and chose him to be the best. He doesn’t come near he’s afraid of me....tried to get him in the coop one night and he got overly excited and the door come down on him....afraid of me ever since....he does allow me to pet him but when I enter the yard he walks away. My kids are 10 and 12. The only time he “jumped” my daughter on the legs was when she was wearing shorts. Not allowing mid kids in the yard is not an option. They are in 4h and some of these chickens are their responsibility. This boy is great at protecting the flock I’ve seen what he can do...coon, skunk, and hawk. He’s not going. I think I will have my son try a few different things.

For the record, some broody hens can get almost as bad, if not worse than a rooster, then go back to being sweet again when her brood reaches a certain age.

Update: after reading all the comments I came to the conclusion it’s most likely the “dominance” thing. This morning son went to fill waters so every time winter (the roo) went towards him I instructed my son to boot him in the butt...not hard just enough to say hey I’m bigger than you. After the roo was away I sent my son to walk towards him....he’d fluff up and get in his stance so I’d tell him to boot him again in the butt. The whole way through the yard he did this....filled the containers and walked back. The roo didn’t jump him however walked toward him so I instructed my son to walk towards him and when he did this the roo took off into the yard. So this is progress. I showed my son what he does when I walk in and towards him he “runs” away. We talked about the dominance thing it’s like dogs you have to be confident and show him your top boy. I thank you all for your advice as this seems to be helping. We actually cleaned out the coops together and he was no longer afraid and the roo no longer “jumped” him. There was a couple times son was crouched down he came strolling over so son stood up and he ran away.

This has been an interesting thread, and I think Jandsloch is new to the community, so let me say, :frow Hi, and welcome to the Forum! I'm glad your boy is finding success dealing with Winter, and I wish him well in 4-H. Happy chickening!

Back
Top Bottom