Good rooster vs. Bad rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by monaname, Apr 2, 2012.

1. monaname

monaname Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    MA
    So, today ends the journey for my first rooster, Pippin. His aggressive antics have won him a one-way trip to the broiler. Now, I liked having him around and would have put up with him if it were just me, but I have two children under the age of three and I didn't want to take any chances. My question, what are the odds of getting a good, kind towards people etc rooster vs the guy I got. I want the flock to have a rooster, but not if it risks my children's safety.

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I'm down to maybe about twelve or thirteen roosters at the moment and have had more than twenty at a time. It's been years since I've had an aggressive one. I won't put up with them for the same reason you won't. I have young children so their first time is their last time.

I've come to the belief it's mostly a matter of how they are raised as chicks. DO NOT make pets of them. Treat them like any other chick or young bird and the very first time it shows any aggressiveness or attempt at dominance even as a chick put him firmly in his place. With me they'll usually jump my hand while still in the brooder. I'll thump the side of their head with the edge of my finger then chase him around the box a bit to reinforce the idea. It's very rare to have one that needs a second lesson.

But since you do have children I would teach them NOT to scare the hens. I tell my kids that the rooster works for me and his job is to watch out for the hens. If they don't scare the hens he won't scare them.

3. monaname

monaname Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    MA
    What breed is your roosters?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by