~Good thing my butt's big . . .

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 1mommahen, Feb 13, 2009.

1. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    'cuz it keeps gettin' kicked!

Won blrw eggs from eggbid Sunday, shipped Monday and fell off the face of the earth shortly there after! I wanted to put them under my broody cochin.

Some of the eggs were already 3 days old when he shipped them. So now even if they show, they won't be worth anything! [​IMG]

Now what do I do with by broody girl. She's sitting on unfertile eggs and a fake egg. Do I kick her out and take the eggs??[​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You can try, but she will just go right back to the nest until she is done.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:People have hatched 2-3 week old eggs before. THink about it when a hen sits on 10-12 eggs that she layed herself the oldest ones are alredy two weeks old by the time she starts sitting one them.
    But if you really need some check through ebay if somebody near you has some . On the pull down selection just pick "nearst first" and see if you can pick them up.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  4. 1mommahen

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Thanks conny, just got off the phone with PO and they think maybe the wacky weather has grounded some planes slowing things down.

Will my broody sit long enough to hatch them, she's already been sitting 5 days? I really want blrw's so we'll see if these come. Thanks for the pep talk, maybe we'll get eggs tomorrow![​IMG]

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I've hatched eggs that were 10 days to two weeks old before. I'd put them under her and see what you get.

6. buzzard chick

buzzard chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Toms River, NJ
    I have 3 laid today you can have...... The warm weather helped this week, I think:confused:

7. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

My broody hen two summers ago sat for about six weeks on bad eggs before she gave up, the more I tried to take them, the more the other hens laid more for her to 'add'!!!
    argh...
    I finally just left her sorry butt to sit.
    she did finally give up...

I'd leave her sitting, and give her the eggs when they arrive! She is gonna sit anyway! she might as well have a project while she is sitting there (egg revival!)

8. 1mommahen

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Thanks everybody! Buzzard chick I pm'd you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by