Good treats for baby chicks?

So, I was scrambling an egg for my chicks but I got tired of washing the pan! So, now I crack the egg in a small cup, scramble it with a fork and then put it in the microwave for like 30-45 seconds. I let it cool off, of course. Then I am able to hold it and they can eat out of my hand :) no dirty pan to clean!

So, I was scrambling an egg for my chicks but I got tired of washing the pan! So, now I crack the egg in a small cup, scramble it with a fork and then put it in the microwave for like 30-45 seconds. I let it cool off, of course. Then I am able to hold it and they can eat out of my hand :) no dirty pan to clean!

Microwaving sounds much easier! Especially since we can't use teflon pans with chicks in the house and egg sticks so badly to metal pans.

Last edited:
OMG! What do you mean ou can't use Teflon pans? You mean non stick. Almost every pan and pot I own is nonstick! I have used them the whole time I've had my chicks. They seem fine. I am freakin out!

Gosh, I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know if it has been mentioned, but plain oatmeal straight from the box is a good treat. They love it. It is also helpful to get them eating in the first few days since many chick starter crumbles are still too big for them. I've often had to use my rolling piin and a plastic bag to grind some of these chickstarters down during the first week.

I stared giving my chicks treats at about one and a half weeks old. I gave them a little bit of grit mixed in with their food, and then I gave them hard boiled egg, frozen peas, strawberries ( their absolute fav.) and cucumber. They didnt love thee treats as much as I had expected but they had fun eating them.

You don't need grit if you are only feeding chick starter. When you feed them treats, you will want to supply them grit so they can digest the treats better.

A little late to post this but yes, I agree to this it is so true. When chickens are put out to free range they get their grit naturally from the ground that helps with digestion. When they are babies and can not free range they do not get any grit to help them to digest any food that you give them such as treats and people food. Hope this helps. In the natural they would get all the grit that they would need even as a baby chick-they would be pecking the ground natural grit. Being housed up they can not do this. Naturally being free to the outside they can and would eat anything BUT they would also get natural dirt grit to help with digestion. If they do not get grit and eat people food etc., they will have digestion and complications that would be harmful.

My chicks range from 2 to 4 weeks.
Can they have soaked alfalfa cubes?

They love their dried mealworms, and have been eating grit for 2 weeks.

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom