Good way to keep coop clean?

birdlover

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Northern Va.
Hi! I just wanted to share what I just started doing and it is working really well. You know how it is when you just finish cleaning the coop and you put in fresh new, sweet smelling bedding and how it doesn't take long for it to get poopie again? Well, if you have a small number of chickens, this works really well! I only have 8 chickens and, after the chickens have gone to roost, (I only have one long roost), I put newspaper under the roost. In the morning, all I have to do is roll it up and voila! However, there are a few poops that get in the bedding from them walking around before I let them out. Sooo, I have a box of latex gloves and I just pick it up with my glove-covered hands and the bedding's almost as good as new! I was using a scoop but discovered using latex gloves is much faster AND easier! So, that's my new method! Anybody else want to share theirs?
smile.png

Ellen
John 11:25,26

The cardboard idea sounds good except that I don't have an unlimited supply! Would you change it everyday? Two of my neighbors keep me supplied with newspaper so that works better for me!

Spotted, are you still keeping your chickens inside at night?

I do the newspaper thing but keep forgetting to remove it and then they tear it up making abigger mess.
barnie.gif

patandchickens I like your setup, I think I will steal your idea and tweak it a little. I would like a back splash so the poo is more contained. But very nice, your baby seems to like it it looks nice and clean.
love.gif

I use dropping boards. They are old pallets that are right under the roost. Once a year, I pull out the pallets and scrape them off. The rest gets taken straight to the garden. If there is a problem with smell, I use stall dry. In a small coop that has baby chicks, I just stir the litter twice a day. So far no problems and easy to maintain.

Back
Top Bottom