Goodbye chickies...one snoopy neighbor and an (often defunct) HOA letter

Just curious: did you call the country animal control about the neighbor's dog breaking the fence and tearing up your property? Even without the chickens involved, that dog(s) were out of control and the owner should receive a fine, if nothing else. If they (the neighbor) blames the chickens for the reason the dog(s) broke through the fence, what are they going to blame it on next time? Your kids or grandkids? Your cat? Your birdfeeder? For the cost of the damage to the fence and whatever else the dogs destroyed (I think you'll have to drop the cost of the chickens and coop) you can take them to city court.

Just curious: did you call the country animal control about the neighbor's dog breaking the fence and tearing up your property? Even without the chickens involved, that dog(s) were out of control and the owner should receive a fine, if nothing else. If they (the neighbor) blames the chickens for the reason the dog(s) broke through the fence, what are they going to blame it on next time? Your kids or grandkids? Your cat? Your birdfeeder? For the cost of the damage to the fence and whatever else the dogs destroyed (I think you'll have to drop the cost of the chickens and coop) you can take them to city court.
I think you are on the wrong thread.

Rules should regulate the nuisance, not its cause. If you are looking at amending, consider the entire document and things that ought to be changed. Does it meet current city and state laws? Are there other ways that it could be opened up to give more freedom to the members without negative impact? How about looking at preventing the fiasco that y'all already went through when the board didn't take care of business....
I really, really, dislike HOA's. When one person can cause that much trouble, it just makes no sense!

Quote: I wasn't really thinking of a re-write (although that can be done). I was more thinking about looking through it all and making as many changes are seem necessary/useful all at once. Probably one vote to approve or disapprove the changes. The inexpensive way to do this is to have volunteers (perhaps you) make the initial draft of changes, talk them over and edit as necessary, and eventually, when you have it saying what you want it to say, have an attorney review it to make sure it says what you intend, and meets legal standards. That is what we have done. Initially a complete rewrite (necessary) in 2002, then updates a couple of times since. I was on the rewrite committee , and hten later, while I was on the board I wrote a couple of sets of amendments.

Anyways, you might also look at whether you can deed the greenbelt and lights (and whatever else there may be) back to the city, and completely do away the the HOA. It sounds like it isn't functioning in a fair and impartial manner. Who IS paying assessments, and is everyone not getting statements or paying, or are only some people being assessed?

If you live in an area full of wildlife, it WILL be there, regardless of chickens or other pets or toddlers or anything else.

I wasn't really thinking of a re-write (although that can be done). I was more thinking about looking through it all and making as many changes are seem necessary/useful all at once. Probably one vote to approve or disapprove the changes. The inexpensive way to do this is to have volunteers (perhaps you) make the initial draft of changes, talk them over and edit as necessary, and eventually, when you have it saying what you want it to say, have an attorney review it to make sure it says what you intend, and meets legal standards. That is what we have done. Initially a complete rewrite (necessary) in 2002, then updates a couple of times since. I was on the rewrite committee , and hten later, while I was on the board I wrote a couple of sets of amendments.

Anyways, you might also look at whether you can deed the greenbelt and lights (and whatever else there may be) back to the city, and completely do away the the HOA. It sounds like it isn't functioning in a fair and impartial manner. Who IS paying assessments, and is everyone not getting statements or paying, or are only some people being assessed?

If you live in an area full of wildlife, it WILL be there, regardless of chickens or other pets or toddlers or anything else.
Wow, you are awesome to head that for your neighborhood.

Your questions:
Who is paying: about half pay on a regular basis. ~30 of the 53 households last year, I think, if I remember right from the meeting...because they never sent out the meeting minutes.

When I say statements, I mean individual lot statements, you know, like a bill, that states what is owed (plus any past due dues and the incruing interest-that documents the year(s) missed)

If they send anything, it's just a reminder to pay your dues before coming to the annual meeting. Some people probably don't read it.

So, everyone is assessed (sort of) , but without any regular/yearly/individual lot statements.

Those lot that are behind either don't know or don't care, or don't read the meeting announcement (since it doesn't look like a statement/bill for dues).

They raised the dues to cover our current costs (so now those who pay will cover those who don't). I don't think that is fair.
They talk liens, but many people (including those who pay) don't want to do it...it is a nasty thing to do....but so is having half of the homeowners shoulder all the cost.
I read in local laws that you can't ask for dues past 10 years. So the longer we wait, they are just getting off anyway...I don't see why theym (we) don't just forgive the past years, when the books were not kept well and they didn't send statements and just tell people to start paying now and we won't ask for that $300+ past dues and interest. I figure if we forgive and just get them on board, we would get more money than doing nothing and getting nothing...but they did'nt like that idea either.

And I agree, wildlife will be here no matter what...if I have rabbits, will that attract more predators? And do I need to ask before I get anything other than a dog or cat?

Last edited:
You are really brave! Good job.
^ I think this is for you Sonoran Silkies
clap.gif
and I agree! that's a lot of work and a tough job.

Maybe if the HOA was educated they would lose their fear of chickens. I collected some "fun facts" for my city council to educate them. Chickens are not the foul fowl they are made out to be. They are a better pet than cats or dogs!
After cows and pigs, dogs are #3 environmental polluter in the same category as herbicides and toxic chemicals. One gram of waste can contain 23 million fecal coliform bacteria.
Dog waste common carriers of: multiple worms, giardiasis, salmonellosis, cryptosporidiosis, and campylobacteriosis. Dogs are vectors for rabies, carry tics and fleas which are prime carriers of serious disease.
Cat feces carry toxoplasmosis, campylobacteriosis, Q-fever, a variety of worm infestations, and cat scratch disease. Also are vectors for rabies and carry tics and fleas which...
The free-flying poop of a passing flock of blackbirds makes a bigger mess than a month of chickens, splashing all manner of bacteria and a source of avian flu.
Chickens carry salmonella.
So, cats and dogs are embraced and the chicken is not? Seems to be if the HOA were concerned for the safety and welfare of its residents they would ban all cats and dogs!

Back
Top Bottom