Goofballs starting to lay eggs outside nest boxes

MIChickandGuinea

Songster
Jun 28, 2017
Western Michigan
We have 8 laying hens (though one has gone broody ... AGAIN ... and one seems to be on complete strike ... so really, only 6 hens who are laying eggs at this moment). We have 4 generous nesting boxes that the hens have always used with great consistency, never laying anywhere else.

Now we have 10 tiny little bantam hens just starting to lay their first eggs. I had meant to get a separate nesting box set up for them in their own separate-but-connected coop/pen, but thought I had more time because I had read that bantam breeds lay much later than standards (if they really even lay at all) ...

But the lovely little bantam girls all started laying in the nest boxes in the main coop, and I have never seen any competition for nesting box time - at any given time, 1-2 boxes might be occupied, the rest vacant. Eggs show up in all four boxes, so there's not a favored one or a rejected one.

But while we were away for a long weekend, my dad was watching the birds and he commented on how few eggs we got for as many chickens as we have. I was puzzled, so started an Easter egg hunt ... and found that while we were gone, lots of standard and bantam eggs were just laid on the floor of the bantam coop, where I don't usually even see the full-size laying hens at all, much less for egg laying!! It definitely happened while we were gone, because I had been checking that coop for eggs daily, as we are getting first eggs from some of the bantams, and wanted to be sure none were laying in silly places. Till now, they weren't!

Any idea what made both large and small birds decide to lay eggs in the hardest-to-reach place imaginable?? Any idea how to make them stop?!

Thanks!

Block it off, put something on the floor so they can't lay there. My chickens occasionally make floor nests, they will continue to use them as long as the can.

You also should get a few more boxes. You didn't mention your bantam breeds but in general bantams are constantly broody, so you will need to set a broody breaking cage up too, very soon.

Block it off, put something on the floor so they can't lay there. My chickens occasionally make floor nests, they will continue to use them as long as the can.

You also should get a few more boxes. You didn't mention your bantam breeds but in general bantams are constantly broody, so you will need to set a broody breaking cage up too, very soon.
Always broody?! For real?! That’s not the best news I have heard today. I am struggling with one broody standard hen - what will I do with a bunch of little broodies?!

In case it makes any difference, our bantam hens are silkie, Old English, D’Uccle (porcelain and mille fleur), Cochin, and one whose variety I absolutely don’t know and can’t guess. She’s all white on her body with an extremely upright “sail tail” that is solid black. Clean yellow feet. No petticoats, no comb/wattle, no cheeks.

Always broody?! For real?! That’s not the best news I have heard today. I am struggling with one broody standard hen - what will I do with a bunch of little broodies?!

In case it makes any difference, our bantam hens are silkie, Old English, D’Uccle (porcelain and mille fleur), Cochin, and one whose variety I absolutely don’t know and can’t guess. She’s all white on her body with an extremely upright “sail tail” that is solid black. Clean yellow feet. No petticoats, no comb/wattle, no cheeks.
Sounds like maybe a Japanese? I always have at least one broody bantam. During the warmer months they all slowly go broody. Once everyone is broody I break the whole bunch by blocking my nestboxes. I do use my bantams to hatch eggs if I need to. They are good setters.

Sounds like maybe a Japanese? I always have at least one broody bantam. During the warmer months they all slowly go broody. Once everyone is broody I break the whole bunch by blocking my nestboxes. I do use my bantams to hatch eggs if I need to. They are good setters.
Yes! I looked up Japanese bantam, and some images looked just like my little girl. Some in photos have big combs and wattles (even on hens) but some are smooth like mine. Thanks - I had no idea what she was.

Any idea what made both large and small birds decide to lay eggs in the hardest-to-reach place imaginable?? Any idea how to make them stop?!
Just to tick you off, is why!
Get staff changes approved by flock ahead of time. :D
Their laying habits may have changed because of you being gone and a 'strange' human being around....chickens hate change.

Check all nests for pests, fake eggs in nests, maybe confine them to coop/run, or just time may get them back with the program.

More jokes than help, sorry, Best of cLuck!

Back
Top Bottom