Goose Behavior At Night?

GracieNut

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 14, 2010
Spotsylvania
OK, I have small problem and I need help with a solution! My trio of geese (American pair and a single blind goose, sex unknown) currently enjoy their nights locked up in a converted indoor/outdoor dog kennel. They will sometimes go into the inside part, but spend most of their night in the outside part which is chain link. They are provided Flock Raiser, and a bucket of water all night.

The problem I have is that they honk and scream at random times throughout the night. When we let the dogs out, or if they hear something, or just because they feel like it. Sometimes they feel like 1 am is the best time to communicate with the neighborhood. I do believe it's mostly the blind one, because I'm not sure he understands night/day, but I have witnessed the goose of my pair doing it too (she's slightly nervous). Anyway, back to the problem... The honking and screaming all night honestly doesn't bother me so much. My infant who's room is at the back of the house, however, IS bothered by it, and they wake him up with their incessant bickering! I love these geese, and I really want it to work! I don't think my blind one would make it if he had to leave!!

I was thinking of locking them somehow into the indoor portion of the pen at night, because it's when they are in the outdoor portion that it is SO LOUD. My problem is that the indoor portion is wood, it's a shed, and we all know what geese do with their water, so do they NEED water when locked up for the night? Shouldn't they be sleeping? Do all geese run their mouth at odd hours of the night? I need to lock them inside, but I can't put their water in there because it's all wood, and well, I don't really need to explain further. Will they be OK if I lock them in there and take water away for the night, or do I need to find another solution? HELP!!

They will be fine without water overnight. Locking them up is your best shot at a solution. In my experience geese are the barnyard watchdogs, and they take their jobs seriously. They tend to 'alarm call' at the slightest provocation.

At the moment I have 16 adult geese who are very close to the house at night...while 14 or 15 sleep, 1 or 2 are on their feet at the edges of the group standing watch...they alternate throughout the night so someone is always on guard duty...and they alarm frequently, loudly...I think that is the norm and that you would have better luck locking them down at night...I would probably pull the food as well as the water at night so they are not eating and getting choked up without water to flush bills and swallow with...I would give that a shot and see how it works for you...

At the moment I have 16 adult geese who are very close to the house at night...while 14 or 15 sleep, 1 or 2 are on their feet at the edges of the group standing watch...they alternate throughout the night so someone is always on guard duty...and they alarm frequently, loudly...I think that is the norm and that you would have better luck locking them down at night...I would probably pull the food as well as the water at night so they are not eating and getting choked up without water to flush bills and swallow with...I would give that a shot and see how it works for you...

My gander id locked up for the night with the ducks and they do not have food and water in their house. They will be fine with out it.

Now we need to see some pics of these guys.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom