Goose down??

June2012

Songster
5 Years
May 23, 2015
I always read that Embden geese are the best for goose down production. Why is that? Is it because they have the best down compared to other geese? How superior is it?

Is down from other breeds of geese worth it in comparison to the Embden? Such as African, Chinese, etc.

Survival is my witness. Survival in -60 ° f says alot for any goose down. Unless you are measuring snowfall by the thimble and the goose down by the days and months in that hostile temperature, rate them all the same unless the African goose, for example only, cannot prevent one from perishing in this hardship. Oscar Myer once had a hot dog commercial : " My dog's bigger than your dog" it was nonsense of course and would not mention the Foot long Coney Island Beef dog.:)
If my goose down is warmer than your goose down, it needs to prevent me from perishing in "forty below" temps. Which any goose down should. If my goose down is warmer than yours in temps crazier than that, you should invest in a moon suit.:))
My answer is: goose down was and is known as "Goose Down" not "Emdon down" or "Afro-gray". My sleeping bag in the artic was " goose down" from Army/Navy store did Uncle Sam buy only the best goosedown if there is any? ( not likely)

Survival is my witness. Survival in -60 ° f says alot for any goose down. Unless you are measuring snowfall by the thimble and the goose down by the days and months in that hostile temperature, rate them all the same unless the African goose, for example only, cannot prevent one from perishing in this hardship. Oscar Myer once had a hot dog commercial : " My dog's bigger than your dog" it was nonsense of course and would not mention the Foot long Coney Island Beef dog.:)
If my goose down is warmer than your goose down, it needs to prevent me from perishing in "forty below" temps. Which any goose down should. If my goose down is warmer than yours in temps crazier than that, you should invest in a moon suit.:))
My answer is: goose down was and is known as "Goose Down" not "Emdon down" or "Afro-gray". My sleeping bag in the artic was " goose down" from Army/Navy store did Uncle Sam buy only the best goosedown if there is any? ( not likely)
Thank you for your answer. It was thorough and lovely. <3

Maybe the Embden down is considered better because it's white? White down sell for a higher price - it's not as visible through the often light colored fabric of a duvet as grey or brown down is.

I always read that Embden geese are the best for goose down production. Why is that? Is it because they have the best down compared to other geese? How superior is it?

Is down from other breeds of geese worth it in comparison to the Embden? Such as African, Chinese, etc.

the fact it is white does make it more desirable for retailers as mentioned above by the goose girl; the reason embden geese tend to be the preferred supplier is because they have far more of it.
that's not to say other goose down is in any way inferior with regards to thermal value, embdens produce about double that of other breeds. they're like walking pillows and very cosy to snuggle up to, if they let you that is...

the fact it is white does make it more desirable for retailers as mentioned above by the goose girl; the reason embden geese tend to be the preferred supplier is because they have far more of it.
that's not to say other goose down is in any way inferior with regards to thermal value, embdens produce about double that of other breeds. they're like walking pillows and very cosy to snuggle up to, if they let you that is...
I had NO idea that Embdens produced so much down!! What other geese produce the most down?? Or are the Embdens really #1?

Back
Top Bottom