Goose egg questions--will she go broody?

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
I have a pair of gorgeous Embden geese, Elmer & Gertrude, each almost 1 year old. Yesterday we found 2 goose eggs in a corner by a shed, the first ones of Gertie's that we've seen! They're so impressively large, now I know why geese waddle the way they do! So now I want to know:

How often do these geese usually lay? Is it seasonal or year 'round?
Will she continue to use the same nest or should we search the yard each day?
Is she likely to go broody after laying a certain number? Should I leave them in her nest spot? Or collect them to return to her once she begins to brood?
How does the taste of goose eggs compare with chicken & duck eggs?

I appreciate your imput, and any other info I should know about goose eggs. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
she will most likely use the same nest unless you continue to take the eggs away, they lay every day, sometimes every other day or every third and are seasonal layers, they will go broody once they decide the clutch is complete (5-20 eggs) leave them there untill she is redy to brood... they are not as good as chicken eggs and are better used for cooking. they take 28 days to atch as opposed to 21 days in chicken eggs.

Goose eggs make the best scrambled eggs! Mine lay in the same nest, even though I remove the eggs, and all lay every other day like clockwork.

Last edited:
For the past two days I've seen the goose setting in a certain place in the yard. Yesterday I looked after she left & didn't find an egg. But today I looked closer & saw that she's covering them up with straw after she finishes, and there are now 2 eggs there. It's especially sweet to watch the gander standing guard while she lays, ready to chase off any passing chickens or ducks that dare to come near his laying lady.

Do you think this goose will go broody when she's laid her magic number of eggs? Should I leave them all in the nest for her? Or should I collect them for our table?

If it's likely she'll go broody I'd be glad for her to do so. But if not, I wouldn't want those big eggs to go to waste. Please advise, I welcome your suggestions!

Gertrude seems to be laying a new egg in the same place every other day. There are now 6 in her nest. Elmer stands guard nearby while she lays, he looks so gallant. Except today he did leave his post to go for a swim in the pool, I wonder how he explained that to Gertrude, and today on Valentine's Day too! She carefully covers all the eggs with straw before leaving the nest.

Do you think it's likely she will eventually brood these eggs? I'd like to give her the chance if she will. Otherwise, we'll be glad to eat them. We had the other ones we took from her first nest spot, they were great, so BIG with that ENORMOUS golden yolk!

If she decides to brood, should I just leave her on the nest place she chose? Could/should I move the nest to a more secluded spot? How likely would it be for her to stay loyal to the eggs and not to the location? If anyone has successfully moved a goose nest, please share your experiences!

If you want her to go broody,just leave her alone..

the more you mess with geese, the more you screw things up.. Your main concern is to keep predators away..

maybe ay an extra handful of straw next to the nest.. she will drag what she needs into the nest.

I have had geese hiss like a snake when you get close.. and then I had a sweet african who would let me raise her up and reach under her to take a gosling to play with.
It all depends upon each goose's disposition..

Back
Top Bottom