1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goose Eggs - First Time Questions

Discussion in 'Geese' started by TarHeelBlue, May 14, 2011.

1. TarHeelBlue

TarHeelBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Yukon, Oklahoma
    I just purchased some pilgrim goose eggs. - SOOO do I wash them? before putting them in the bator?? They are pretty icky.
    And - any and all advice will be welcomed. I have never tried my hand at incubating geese. [​IMG] Should be fun!

2. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    I don't wash hatching eggs unless they are really dirty. I have some pilgrims incubating right now, but this is my first time hatching geese. They were a bit soiled, but not bad. I gave them a quick dip in a very diluted oxine/water mix and allowed them to air dry before I started the incubation. So far two did not develop and three are doing fine. Here's a hatching guide: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013
    Good
    luck!

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You can wash them, just be sure the water is very warm and that you don't rub them too much. I would put them in the incubator immediately after washing, they don't need to dry. You could pat them dry with a paper towel.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  4. Gracie9205

Gracie9205 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    Unless they have CLUMPS of dirt or poo on them I don't wash them. The "icky, nasty, dirty" ones seem to hatch just as well as the pure white ones for me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by