Goose EGGS sprayed with SOAP - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by M0therGoose, Apr 8, 2009.

1. M0therGoose

M0therGoose Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Pasadena, Texas
    My 4 year old daughter emptied out my water bottle and poured her bubbles into it. And before I realized it, I misted my goose eggs with it. As soon as I figured it out, I gently wiped the eggs with a wet wash cloth then gave my daughter a good butt whipping with it (JUST KIDDING). Do you think the eggs will be alright??

2. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    There's a very good chance they'll be fine. I had a broody that had egg break in the nest while she was setting, and there was so much dried egg on the others, I was afraid they'd suffocate, or that the egg would start to decompose and contaminate the others, so I washed them all and put them back under her. Then it happened again. Washed again. Then a third time! And a fourth! This was in addition to being left to get chilled several times, due to this hen getting confused and returning to the wrong nest, repeatedly.

She ended up with only 6 eggs out of 10, and 5 hatched. I was amazed. I didn't think she'd hatch any.

I would never advise repeatedly washing eggs during incubation, (like I did that time) but if they get stuff on them, and it's either clean them off and try anyway, or toss them, I say give it a go. Nothing to lose at that point, usually.

3. gervais22

gervais22 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Ontario
    Yeah I guess they should be fine if you washed them off. Up to you I would quickly rinse them under warm water (just to make sure)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by