1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Goose for christmas

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by cybercat, Dec 14, 2009.

1. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Ok, has anyone cooked goose before? I have not and we got one for xmas dinner. I would love any tips on this. Is it like doing chicken or turkey? Also what is a good stuffing for goose? I do not have a recipe in my cookbook for goose. Heck it took us 3 store just to find one. Guess they are not too common these days. But if I like it then hubby said we can raise are own [​IMG] so please help with recipes for goose.

2. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    there are alot of goose cooking recipes on line.. i have never cooked one before

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    i will let someone more experinced with it give you cooking directons.
    But my experience was this:
    1st one - I used a recipe off of gourmet, it was A LOT of work, the goose tasted great but the only really meaty part was the breast and it just seemed like A LOT of work. I want to raise themone day and butcher my own, it was really good - but I will just remove and cook the the breast next time.
    2nd one we had last New Years someone else smoked it . . . IT WAS AMAZING! I can't wait to smoke my own one day.

4. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I bought and cooked a goose in September because I had never had one before and I wanted to try it thinking I might like to make one for Thanksgiving.

I am so glad I did because nobody in the family liked it...the meat is dark and to us had a very strong flavor to it. I used a recipe off the net but since we didn't like the meat I threw the recipe away.

Hope you have better luck.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Cook it on a rack-they render off a LOT of fat. I don't stuff them for the same reason. The stugging ends up saturated with fat which I don't find appealing. Cut up some onions, apples oranges etc & put those in the body cavity. They will flavor the meat nicely.

6. cybercat

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Thanks NYREDs as i was planning on stuffing it. Hubby is very picky when it comes to stuffing so I have to be careful. Like the fruit idea. Hmm Betty thanks for that info i did not know it was dark meat. I love the legs on chickens not so much on turkey though. Love duck so maybe I will love goose too. Time will tell on that one. Wish I had a turkey deep fryer we did duck that way and it came out heavenly. Not greesy at all. Well, I guess I am set for this one my rooster has a rack so I will buy the fruit. Thanks all.

7. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    If you like dark meat then you may like the goose but we prefer the white meat. When I cut up a chicken I always put the thighs and legs in a bag and freeze them. I use them to make chicken gumbo with...the gumbo covers up the flavor of the dark meat.

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    If you like duck then I think you will love the goose - it really has awesome flavor. Do a lot of reading up on how to cook it. I remember I had to prick the skin all over to allow the fat to drain out while cooking, and that I had to use the baster to remove excess fat from pan while cooking - there was a lot!

9. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    We skinned ours completely when we butchered, so I have nothing to offer on the skin part, as Ive only cooked one without skin. We all LOVED it. It had a very good taste. I usually do a turkey on a slow bake for hours, but had to drastically cut the time down for the goose.

10. cybercat

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Well, that is good thanks Katy. Almond duck is a fav of mine. Grew up with eating alot of Chinese and can make it myself. I am not chinese though. Just love to cook it though. I shall look up more recipes on Goose as my cookbooks are rather lame on it.

Betty I understand as for some reason I do not care that much for dark turkey meat but love the breast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by