Goose for christmas

cybercat

Songster
12 Years
May 22, 2007
Greeneville, Tn
Ok, has anyone cooked goose before? I have not and we got one for xmas dinner. I would love any tips on this. Is it like doing chicken or turkey? Also what is a good stuffing for goose? I do not have a recipe in my cookbook for goose. Heck it took us 3 store just to find one. Guess they are not too common these days. But if I like it then hubby said we can raise are own
big_smile.png
so please help with recipes for goose.

i will let someone more experinced with it give you cooking directons.
But my experience was this:
1st one - I used a recipe off of gourmet, it was A LOT of work, the goose tasted great but the only really meaty part was the breast and it just seemed like A LOT of work. I want to raise themone day and butcher my own, it was really good - but I will just remove and cook the the breast next time.
2nd one we had last New Years someone else smoked it . . . IT WAS AMAZING! I can't wait to smoke my own one day.

I bought and cooked a goose in September because I had never had one before and I wanted to try it thinking I might like to make one for Thanksgiving.

I am so glad I did because nobody in the family liked it...the meat is dark and to us had a very strong flavor to it. I used a recipe off the net but since we didn't like the meat I threw the recipe away.

Hope you have better luck.

Cook it on a rack-they render off a LOT of fat. I don't stuff them for the same reason. The stugging ends up saturated with fat which I don't find appealing. Cut up some onions, apples oranges etc & put those in the body cavity. They will flavor the meat nicely.

Thanks NYREDs as i was planning on stuffing it. Hubby is very picky when it comes to stuffing so I have to be careful. Like the fruit idea. Hmm Betty thanks for that info i did not know it was dark meat. I love the legs on chickens not so much on turkey though. Love duck so maybe I will love goose too. Time will tell on that one. Wish I had a turkey deep fryer we did duck that way and it came out heavenly. Not greesy at all. Well, I guess I am set for this one my rooster has a rack so I will buy the fruit. Thanks all.

If you like dark meat then you may like the goose but we prefer the white meat. When I cut up a chicken I always put the thighs and legs in a bag and freeze them. I use them to make chicken gumbo with...the gumbo covers up the flavor of the dark meat.

If you like duck then I think you will love the goose - it really has awesome flavor. Do a lot of reading up on how to cook it. I remember I had to prick the skin all over to allow the fat to drain out while cooking, and that I had to use the baster to remove excess fat from pan while cooking - there was a lot!

We skinned ours completely when we butchered, so I have nothing to offer on the skin part, as Ive only cooked one without skin. We all LOVED it. It had a very good taste. I usually do a turkey on a slow bake for hours, but had to drastically cut the time down for the goose.

Well, that is good thanks Katy. Almond duck is a fav of mine. Grew up with eating alot of Chinese and can make it myself. I am not chinese though. Just love to cook it though. I shall look up more recipes on Goose as my cookbooks are rather lame on it.

Betty I understand as for some reason I do not care that much for dark turkey meat but love the breast.

Back
Top Bottom