Goose has weird marks please help

AidanOshields

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2020
This is my goose violet and she’s been rather quiet and docile these past few days. And now she has this huge red rash underneath her neck and I need help knowing what it is and how to deal with it.

Could it be my other goose? She’s very protective of violet and is much more aggressive towards me.
Also I should mention that they share a nesting spot and that violet has been staying in everyday. When ever the ducks go near violet my African goose runs over and chases them off so I was wondering if she would go after violet like she does the ducks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    812.2 KB · Views: 11
Is she missing feathers on her neck or is her feathers stained red, in the picture it looks like her feathers have a reddish hue but I’m not sure if I see bare skin.

If her feathers are red she must have been rubbing against something red, if it’s bare skin my first thought would be mites, broody females are at greater risk of getting mites because they’re sitting on the nest so long without preening or bathing.
My second thought if it’s bare skin would be an infection of the skin, bacterial or fungal, though mites are probably more likely.

Back
Top Bottom