Goose house pics

juliect

Songster
10 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Niota, TN
My pics are LATE...but everything is LATE in my life right now. Lol. Lots of things to do and not enough time!

My brother took sympathy on my goslings being forced to live in a house of my making...so he took over, built them a house in his shop, loaded it on a trailer and brought it here...they're thrilled (especially after the 70mph winds we had the other day, 'cause this house came through like a rock... my house would probably be in Georgia somewhere)

Arrival!!!!
wee.gif

Inside pen/run

There is no dividing wall (he just designed it with two doors in case a brooding mother needed some privacy, then it can be divided)

A shot of the front vents from the inside

Interior pic of rear vents

Goslings wondering where the interior pool is that they specifically ordered

Nice house, I'd be more than happy for it to blow to Georgia
frow.gif
The ventilation is important I have 3 houses and put wire all around the top and the doors are wire for air, Geese do have 'down ' coats even in summer , so in the south shade and ventilation are essential for them. If you need shade, you can get shade cloth at walmarts, in the fall marked down.... or regular price in summer . Or one of those shade sails on ebay , I snagged 2 cheap last fall because they were green .... I like green. You need to paint it with good exterior paint, and the floor several coats . I also put down a heavy vinyl and staple it to floor to protect wood in duck houses.... After they eat all the grass down to dirt . you may want to add some gravel or rocks around the pool. If you then cover the whole yard with gravel , you can just hose it down.....there will be mud, I promise
old.gif

Nice house, I'd be more than happy for it to blow to Georgia
frow.gif
The ventilation is important I have 3 houses and put wire all around the top and the doors are wire for air, Geese do have 'down ' coats even in summer , so in the south shade and ventilation are essential for them. If you need shade, you can get shade cloth at walmarts, in the fall marked down.... or regular price in summer . Or one of those shade sails on ebay , I snagged 2 cheap last fall because they were green .... I like green. You need to paint it with good exterior paint, and the floor several coats . I also put down a heavy vinyl and staple it to floor to protect wood in duck houses.... After they eat all the grass down to dirt . you may want to add some gravel or rocks around the pool. If you then cover the whole yard with gravel , you can just hose it down.....there will be mud, I promise
old.gif
Thanks for the complements and advice! These are my first waterfowl, so I am a newbie to all of this and appreciate any help.

They have two black shade cloths on them now, but I am searching for white or tan...in this heatwave, the black colors seems to be absorbing and radiating too much heat downward. Been looking at the Aluminet shade cloth, but gee its EXPENSIVE.

Working on the paint too. I live next door to my mom, so trying to pick a color that makes her happy (to keep down her complaints of living next door to Ellie May Clampet
big_smile.png
) and doesn't entirely grate on my nerves is a balancing act. She wants sunshine yellow and I want a soft green (blending those two colors just looks like a bad trip to the candy counter.) We are still in negotiations
smile.png

I love your idea of rock/gravel in the yard and hosing it down...easy maintenance rules! With the lack of rain, the dirt soaks up water so fast that half an hour later you'd never know I had just dumped a pool and washed it out...but hopefully that will change.

If I show these pictures to my geese they will go on strike, I just know it! They have to share a 16' x16' house with chickens. I'm now in the process of dividing the house into screened rooms. Thanks for the idea on ventilation but how much should I cover them in the winter? I'm at 7100' elevation in Colorado and it gets darn cold. I thought about using a "sweeter heater" this year, any thoughts? I have used red heat lamps in the past which works okay but if there is something better I'd like to know about it. I just LOVE your goose house!

Oh, sorry. I didn't read. Just looked at the gorgeous pictures!

Yeah, I think the gravel would hurt their feet. You could put straw or hay down after the grass is gone

Back
Top Bottom