goose laying for first time

n4zty

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
Hi guys long time no see, seems like the last time i was active here my 4 geese were only juveniles and fluffy lil yellow chicks but they have grown up so much now and seems my one female is indeed laying eggs.I need ya expertise first thing first, is she just laying eggs just to lay eggs or is she a sitter? and how would i be able to tell? she looks like shes mixed so im not really sure whats her breed but then again could she be a saddle back? she has a patch of grey on her back and head but other than that she looks like my first embeden i once had. also would i have to worry about the 3 other males that are loose in the yard near her? would i have to lock them up to keep them away?? can i leave food for her in there with water or just leave her alone?Is this her season for egg sitting or just random pile of eggs for me to collect?If she is indeed sitting on her eggs to hatch her chicks whats the typical time period for hatchlings? lol guys im sorry of im asking so many questions like i said this is my first female that ive ever own i have had 2 white male embedens before and it was a blast having them now i have 2 chinese browns and one white chinese and this female. I greatly appreciate every suggestion that i can get and helpful tips god bless ya!

this is when she was younger

this is when all four of them were alot younger shes the one in the back next to my brown chinese

Last edited:
If she is sitting on the eggs she won't leave them for the first 24 hours or so. Normally the goose will wait until she has a good sized clutch of eggs before she will start to sit on them. It is okay to leave the ganders with her as they are her protection while she is sitting on the eggs. Her first few eggs may not be fertile and if they are about 50% will be at first as I assume she is a maiden goose laying for the first time. My food and water are about six to ten feet away from where my goose built her nest so she is near enough to her nest that she can watch over it if she gets off. So far mine are just laying and not sitting yet. Maybe someone else that has more knowledge can tell you more. Good luck!

If she is sitting on the eggs she won't leave them for the first 24 hours or so. Normally the goose will wait until she has a good sized clutch of eggs before she will start to sit on them. It is okay to leave the ganders with her as they are her protection while she is sitting on the eggs. Her first few eggs may not be fertile and if they are about 50% will be at first as I assume she is a maiden goose laying for the first time. My food and water are about six to ten feet away from where my goose built her nest so she is near enough to her nest that she can watch over it if she gets off. So far mine are just laying and not sitting yet. Maybe someone else that has more knowledge can tell you more. Good luck!

Thank you so much for replying and god bless you so far ive counted 6 eggs this morning i went to check on her and she was hanging out with the ganders so she isnt offcially laying on them to hatch them yet but perhaps your right maybe she waiting till she has enough eggs to stay sitting on them. hoepfully some1 could confirm this.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for replying and god bless you so far ive counted 6 eggs this morning i went to check on her and she was hanging out with the ganders so she isnt offcially laying on them to hatch them yet but perhaps your right maybe she waiting till she has enough eggs to stay sitting on them. hoepfully some1 could confirm this.

Thats probably true, she may want to lay about 14 more before ready to commit to brooding.
wink.png

My yearling Sebbie who's babies hatched today, starter to sit on 3 and they all hatched. She added 4 more to her nest while sitting. She is still on them so who knows! :D
She is very funny to watch when she get off for her daily feed and water. Everything she does is on a run! Out of the coop run to the pools for water, run to the feed tub, run back to water, run out to find a little grass, run back to water, run back to nest. Just like clock work, not more than five minutes, and she never walks, always trots along fast. Hilarious to watch.:lol:

My nippy mother that is setting waited on 14 before she set on the nest. She will take a finger off if you try to touch those eggs!

1st mama you can pet her, reach under her and borrow one to look at it. She just sits there a quietly talks to you. Put it back she rearranges them to her liking and continues on the nest.

I would have never imagined that they would hatch! Between they are all yearlings and they were her first. Only found 1 outside by the pool before she laid those three!

Good luck, maybe it will be a good year for hatching!

Wow thanks ya for sharing this valuable info i was going to take one of the eggs at first since i thought maybe she isnt gonna sit on them and eat the egg since they make really good omlettes lol rather big omlette that is but im just gonna leave them alone and let her do her thing and hope soon ill have lil chicks :D

Back
Top Bottom