Goose problems/questions

melodyjones137

In the Brooder
May 19, 2021
Hi Everyone!
We have about a dozen chickens and a year old goose that we got last March. We didn't know the sex but judging by its behavior I would say its a male. Definitely hormone crazy. He bonded with my oldest who is going off to college in the fall. He is attacking our hens- or possibly trying to mate with them. He seems to go after certain chickens just to hurt them- I am not sure though. Our chicken recovery coup is almost out of room. We are thinking about adding a female goose to hopefully bond with him. We are worried they will then both attack the hens, but I am hopeful they will bond and then protect the hens. Also he isn't mean to all the hens and he has protected them from coyotes and hawks. Does anyone have experience with this kind of a situation? He is definitely hormonal but he was already going after the hens before that.

I have a gander with a mate, and he will attack certain hens. The female goose doesn't bite the chickens. I'm not exactly sure why he does that. We have two roosters and they usually make him stop biting the hens though, so none of the hens have gotten significantly hurt.

Back
Top Bottom