Goose ripped into by dog, breathing raspy. Need advice

I would be reluctant to tube feed him in his condition. He most likely suffered some damage to the esophagus or at the very least some muscle damage to the neck. I would just start with a syringe. Take a 20 ml. Cut the tip off and with the tip of the knife, enlarge the hole at least double. Mix blend up some soft foods. My guys prefer lettuce, papaya, mango, strawberries, apples, zukes and pumpkin. Try a few separate and see if he takes one over the others. Needs to be soupy enough to easily flow through the hole in the syringe. Sit down on a low stool with him on the ground between your legs facing away from you. One hand on his neck and the other one squirting the food into the corner of his mouth. You might want to wrap him up in a towel to keep him from squirming and beating you with his wings
It could be too painful for him to eat off the ground so try raising the feed to whatever level he seems to naturally carry his head.
If you have some nice soft and tender grass hay, bring a flake home and place it in his crate. He might start picking at it.

HERES some info on tube feeding ducks. I imagine it would be similar for geese.
THANK YOU both! My first attempt at syringe feeding (prior to viewing the links) was an epic fail. I'm still not entirely comfortable doing this -- very afraid I'm going to cause Honk to aspirate food -- but it does seem to be going better.

Questions:
Given the circumstances, how long might one expect it to take before Honk starts eating again?

What is a good antibiotic for a goose, and would it be a good idea to put him on something "just in case?"

Honk is drinking well but still shows absolutely no interest in food. I've offered everything imaginable and am taking him to the barn for a couple of hours daily so he can spend time with Tonk. Despite all of the available grass and pasture, all Honk seems to want to do is head into the barn and hang out there -- he has no interest in eating the "regular" options available in his home environment. Tonk follows Honk around (as usual) and is being protective of him (role reversal).

Assuming I can get him to eat again, how long, realistically, should I plan to keep him with me? What are the parameters (other than mitigating the dog mauling risk, obviously) for him to go home?

Glad to hear an update! Sorry he’s not eating on his own yet. You’re doing an amazing job. I don’t know the answers to your questions, but hopefully someone who does will be around soon. Have you tried Nutridrench? You can get it at Tractor Supply as well as many farm/feed stores, and also on AMAZON It’s a great supplement and may help perk him and his appetite up.

I wish I had answers; I would expect him to be self feeding soon, though. A couple days, at most. Syringe feeding should be stimulating digestion and eventually, appetite.

As for antibiotic, I know Tylan is used in poultry and can be dosed by weight/ size. Is he showing signs of infection outside of his lack of interest in food? Smelly, slow healing wounds, pus redness or oozing from bites?

God bless you and all you're doing for him. This just breaks my heart :hugs:love:(

Glad to hear an update! Sorry he’s not eating on his own yet. You’re doing an amazing job. I don’t know the answers to your questions, but hopefully someone who does will be around soon. Have you tried Nutridrench? You can get it at Tractor Supply as well as many farm/feed stores, and also on AMAZON It’s a great supplement and may help perk him and his appetite up.

I really agree. I've seen this simple supplement do some amazing things both in My own flock and on here! Definitely worth having in the emergency kit!

Back
Top Bottom