Goose-sitter says our goose is sick, possibly dying

lina500

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Cambodia
I'm sorry that I don't have more details (our goose-sitter is not a native English speaker) but apparently our four-year-old goose Sopheap has been sluggish for the last few days and sitting a lot more than usual, but still getting up and walking around. Today she is not getting up at all. She eats a diet of rice with the hulls, protein poultry food, and fresh greens (as well as whatever she forages). He has taken her to two local vets who were unable to diagnose anything, but they suggested feeding her poultry vitamins, which he has been doing. Is there anything else he can do?

Last edited:
Goose poop is naturally green from all the grasses they eat. That isn't a problem. When did she last lay? Will she swim? I'm sure your heat is oppressive which is part of the problem. I would like to see more fruits and vegetables in the diet and just enough pellets to fill the gaps.

Goose poop is naturally green from all the grasses they eat. That isn't a problem. When did she last lay? Will she swim? I'm sure your heat is oppressive which is part of the problem. I would like to see more fruits and vegetables in the diet and just enough pellets to fill the gaps.

She's never laid very much. Maybe 5 eggs when she was 1.5 years old or so, and 2 or 3 eggs the next year and none in the last year. I am not sure if the heat is an issue, to be honest. She comes from a long line of Chinese geese raised in Cambodia and it does not seem to be a problem for any of the other geese here.

Could all be intertwined but in your part of the world where rice and rice byproduct are a major component of animal feeds, you have a severely inverted calcium to phosphorus ratio . Meaning the high P of the outer husk (the bran) interferes with the absorption of Ca. Your pellets, if milled locally, compound the problem. Is there a guaranteed analysis for the feed? I would want to see over 3% unless you offer a Ca source on the side. If you have Ca supplement tablets available, I would grind one up, make a slurry and syringe it into her daily for a week or two.

Could all be intertwined but in your part of the world where rice and rice byproduct are a major component of animal feeds, you have a severely inverted calcium to phosphorus ratio . Meaning the high P of the outer husk (the bran) interferes with the absorption of Ca. Your pellets, if milled locally, compound the problem. Is there a guaranteed analysis for the feed? I would want to see over 3% unless you offer a Ca source on the side. If you have Ca supplement tablets available, I would grind one up, make a slurry and syringe it into her daily for a week or two.

Okay, I will ask him to try that. There's no guaranteed analysis of the feed, unfortunately. I am not sure if she's going to make it through the night.

Have him remove the rice as well. The excess P robs Ca from the bones, feathers, blood... Hopefully the reluctance to walk is soreness in the legs. Try placing her some water to take all the pressure off the legs. Float lettuce and grass in the pool.

Back
Top Bottom