goose still not broody

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sarah78, May 19, 2011.

1. sarah78

sarah78 New Egg

May 26, 2010
    I have a toulouse goose that is laying eggs for the first time this year. She has been laying since March and has had at least 2 dozen eggs in her nest for the past month. She is still not broody and I'm wondering if I should just break up the nest and dispose of the eggs. She sits on the eggs at night and will occasionally sit on them during the day if she senses a threat (neighbor's dog outside), but it's not as though she is consistently sitting on them. She is very protective of the nest when she's on it, but could care less if I check it out while she's out in the yard. Is there a point at which it's too late for them to go broody? Also, how much time does a goose have to stay on the nest to be considered broody? Thanks!

Sarah

2. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    She may not go broody this year, mine didn't. Count your blessings, a broody goose = a goose with a NASTY attitude and a protective gander! Gather the eggs and eat the fresh ones! They don't taste any different from chicken eggs and are twice as big! I make quiche, omlets and bake with them. One goose egg for every two chicken eggs in recipies. Cakes come out fluffy and moist!

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  3. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I have two female geese and I put both of their eggs in the incubator. The year olds eggs didn't develop at first and the later ones would almost make it to hatch. Now after three months of laying her eggs are finally hatching. First year layers are probably better off if they don't go broody.

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    I think I'd be calling it a day and removing the eggs if shes not gone broody.

Pete [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by