Goose with cracked lower bill?!?? :(

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
I've been away from my chickens/ducks/geese for over a week now...I had a baby last Tuesday (the 9th) and almost died due to some complications. So my DH has been caring for my animals while I'm recovering.

Today, he asked me if I knew one of my Dewlap Africans had a "crossed beak." I told him no--it did not hatch like that and was not like that before I left to the hospital on the 9th. I went outside today and what he was thinking was a cross, was actually--the bottom bill cracked (long-ways) right down the middle.
sad.png
And it's tongue is hanging down through the split.

I have no idea how it happened, either. It's been locked up in the pen from Tuesday until Sunday--and then turned out during the day Monday, Tuesday and today.

It's still & drinking and grazing....but what can I do (if anything?) I was thinking of wiring it back together....or should I just leave it?
hmm.png

there's a thread going on two chickens with broken upper beaks. One person took the hen to the vet and has some sort of epoxy patch on it. The other, letting it alone. Can yo splint the crack, and glue it with something?

PS- I hope you are feeling better and the baby is OK.

Thanks....I didn't think about epoxy.....it turns out my FIL who was caring for the animals while I was in the hospital 3 hours away noticed some blood on the wire so we think the goose got stuck in the fence.....

sad.png

He's still pretty young and growing....but it's just sad...

The baby is doing great! I'm still making a slow recovery from everything....

Back
Top Bottom