Goose

Mar 29, 2023
I have one recommendation! Get a girl goose for your flock. But raise her from a gosling with other chicks. They get along, and the goose is like bodyguard for your hens, and she does her job well! But put a goose of the same age as the chicks with the chicks, for the safety of the goose! Don’t even put two week old chicks with her, or they will peck at her webbed feet.

Actually, if you put the goose with other geese too, they might gang up, and also, the goose becomes friends with the chicks.
They could but you cross that bridge when you come to it. It's not this best practice to keep flock animals without their own species. It causes behavioral and mental issues for them.

I have Geese and Ducks and I'd never put any goose in with any other ducks or chcikens. First of all they won't actually protect your chickens. The goose may be more passive to get along with your chickens, but she is going to run when a predator comes too. If she is a very aggressive goose then you run the risk of her attacking the chickens. There are numerous stories of geese killing ducks and chickens. And when it goes badly, somebody pays with their life and the goose is dumped. She deserves a lifetime home committed to her with a lifetime mate. I thought about this too before I had geese and decided to listen to others. I'm glad I did LOL

BTW: When geese bite, they leave a 3 inch bruise and can break the skin. Unless you are very large animal savvy and calm, geese may not be a good choice. If you have young children or high strung family members, I'd say it's a definite "no". LOL

They could but you cross that bridge when you come to it. It's not this best practice to keep flock animals without their own species. It causes behavioral and mental issues for them.
We have a month-old White Chinese Goose that is the first goose we ever got, and she lives with 12 chicks that are the same age as her. The goose is already as big of bigger than your average hen and has grown strong, healthy relationships with the chicks. She even is defending her playmates from the older chicks that we’re introducing to her group, which makes the younger chicks get pecked less, but it also makes it harder to get the younger chicks to get used to the older ones. 🤣

We have a month-old White Chinese Goose that is the first goose we ever got, and she lives with 12 chicks that are the same age as her. The goose is already as big of bigger than your average hen and has grown strong, healthy relationships with the chicks. She even is defending her playmates from the older chicks that we’re introducing to her group, which makes the younger chicks get pecked less, but it also makes it harder to get the younger chicks to get used to the older ones. 🤣
Have you read this yet?
The Myth of the 'Guard' Goose and Why You Should Not Get One

The Myth of the 'Guard' Goose and Why You Should Not Get One

The Myth of the 'Guard' Goose and Why You Should Not Get One If you browse online, you might come across an article that says you can keep a goose in with your chickens - just one, and it will probably tell you to get a male - and this goose will guard your flock, protecting them from predators...

Back
Top Bottom