$@*&! GOPHER

CarriBrown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 21, 2007
Thousand Oaks, California
barnie.gif
This stupid thing is ruining my lawn and I'm afraid it will go after my veggie garden!!
Anybody have any cleaver ways (that won't poison my dogs) to get rid of it?? :thun

We tried soaking a rag in vinegar and stuffing it down the hole, we also tried dumping a box of moth balls in the hole....

Ultimately we were reduced to putting a smoke bomb in the hole as he was digging under the corner of our foundation.

I have heard that simple whirligigs or pinwheels stuck in the ground will repel some moles, maybe they would work on him?

Good luck!

Last edited:
The noise making whirley gigs and solar powered thumpers did nothing for us except empty our wallets and clutter the yard. We had to smoke them out too and that worked temporarily.
This winter we ended up putting roach bombs in the holes and covering them up. This basically killed the hibernating creatures in their sleep. Hated to do it, but had been left no choice.
I realize this won't help you much in Sunny Cal...
idunno.gif

My 13 year old boy traps them for us. Well, that was the deal he made with his dad, anyway. He enjoys it, but he's not very adept at it (it's work you see, LOL).

But, years ago, we had an elderly neighbor lady who used dehydrated potatoes. The idea was that the gophers would eat up on the powdered spuds, then moisture would hit, and ... well, you know. I don't remember how effective this practice was, but it's an idea.

I Hate Them!!! :mad: They are the wost backyard pests for garden lovers! If you have one you need to get rig of it fast they can eat through your whole vegtable garden in One day! I fought with one for years.

I put a fence around my garden....gopher climbed over 6 foot fence ate all my tomatoes.

I tried catching it in a "have a heart" trap....gave up after all i kept getting was coons

Asked a local farmer his advice .....He first said Shoot IT! LOL I explained to him it wasent possible for me to shoot it because of where i lived and i most definalty would have 45 cop cars lined up out side of my house due to a parionoid neighbor! Then he said, if you know where the hole its comming from is wake up just before sunrise and

LIST OF MATERIALS:

1 LArge Plastic Funnel.

1 piece of gardenhose cut long enoughf to go as deep as you get get in the hole.

1 old sock and 1 rubber band

1 gallon of liquid bleach

1 gallon of Ammonia

1 shovel, and enoughf dirt to cover over hole.

Attach sock to hose with rubber band allowing there to be free air in the sock. shove hose sock side down into the offenders hole as far as it will go attach the funnel to the other end that you still have in you hand. Using the funnel pour the whole gallon of bleach into the hose and down the hole. after finsihed quickly follow with the Ammonia. After finished, Drop the hose immediatly, step back and shovel the dirt over the opening leaving the hose where you dropped it. I Forgot to metion most of thest suckers have dual entrances before you start check to make shure and if there is one cover and pack with dirt before you begin.

I hope this helps it worked wonders for me! GOOD LUCK
smile.png

Note: It is important that when finished you stand away from the hole as Ammonia And Bleach Form a deadly chemical gas when combinded. :eek:

Gophers are very smart and cautious creatures. I did a ton of reading on the subject because I had a big problem with them. Most of the advice I found didn't work in others opinion with the bottom line to getting rid of them is shooting or trapping them. Have fun digging those holes to put traps in and good luck trying to hit those quick buggers with a 22. One way I think would work out of allot of methods is hooking a hose to your car, lawnmower, etc and try to suffocate them with carbon monoxide. At the first sign of problems, a gopher will back fill their hole to stop things from entering. So most methods need to be quickly executed. Another is use nitrogen gas, nitrogen is a non-toxic gas that is in the air we breath, but concentrated nitrogen replaces the oxygen from the air and will also suffocate.

I was able to get a license to use poisonous gas on rodents on private property. This poison is cheaper than any shelf items and very effective (just killed one yesterday that made 5 holes that morning). Once the rodent smells this gas, it's too late for a back fill defense.

I would not use the ammonia and bleach method, this is highly toxic, is lethal to yourself and any other living creature that inhales it. Not to mention polluting the soil and ground water.

My mom is the master at catching them... I don't know how she does it. She has these traps that work really well. I might just have her come down here and set one for me. I can't find the traps down here.
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Keep them coming!!! I'll get this SOB if it kills me!
barnie.gif

PS to Chicken Mama- My mom used to pay my brother and I $5 for each gopher we killed (we had to produce a body, haha). We would sit outside with BB Guns all day and pop them off. Too bad I don't have any 10-12 year old kids in this neighborhood to pay!!!

We put a radio/cd player outside (on sunny, not rainy days) and blasted lots of hard rock/punk/death metal non-stop and they all went away. And I don't care what anyone says - it worked!
big_smile.png
We used to have tons and tons and tons of gophers digging warlike trenches all over our property and now there are zero. ~ Oaknim

My father in law has the same problem every year. He has used urine of some sort in viles hanging in his garden, but resorted to catching them in have a heart traps and relocating them to somewhere far away.
Oh yeah and I think he uses juicy fruit gum in his yard which they eat and it kills them

Last edited:
I was given a recipe for eliminating gophers many years ago but have forgotten it since I haven’t had that problem for years, my dogs have killed them in the past. The recipe contained cayenne pepper and chili powder.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom