Gordie's Chicken List Black and Blue Orps UPDATES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's strange...never had any bloody stools from his chicks....sorry it happened and hopefully it would resolve itself with your TLC!

Quote:
How old are they? Sounds like cocci. Not sure I'd blame the breeder for that. Are they on medicated chick starter? The brooder, shavings, etc. as clean as it can possibly be?

Quote:
How old are they? Sounds like cocci. Not sure I'd blame the breeder for that. Are they on medicated chick starter? The brooder, shavings, etc. as clean as it can possibly be?

LOL...I am not a newbie to chicks.
wink.png
Shavings are changed regularly with plenty of space for the number of chicks. Water is changed 3 times a day. Chicks are on medicated chick starter. I doubt it is cocci since they are on the right feed. I have never had cocci in chicks, and never ever bloody stools. It is definitely entero though. The Sulmet should fix the problem, though the one chick may be too far along with the illness. I am hand feeding him treated water to help him along.
The deal with these chicks is we had him ship them to us when they were about 4 days old. We paid for Express shipping, but still didn't receive them for 2 days, so shipping was very stressful on them. We lost one right away just from being deprived of water and such. I am not saying they necessarily are sick because of him, or his facilities/handling, but next time I will only ship day old chicks and not when it is so hot.
Fortunately, I have kept them quarantined away from my other chicks. I certainly hope they make it and will do all I can to make sure they do.
fl.gif

Quote:

LOL...I am not a newbie to chicks.
wink.png
Shavings are changed regularly with plenty of space for the number of chicks. Water is changed 3 times a day. Chicks are on medicated chick starter. I doubt it is cocci since they are on the right feed. I have never had cocci in chicks, and never ever bloody stools. It is definitely entero though. The Sulmet should fix the problem, though the one chick may be too far along with the illness. I am hand feeding him treated water to help him along.
The deal with these chicks is we had him ship them to us when they were about 4 days old. We paid for Express shipping, but still didn't receive them for 2 days, so shipping was very stressful on them. We lost one right away just from being deprived of water and such. I am not saying they necessarily are sick because of him, or his facilities/handling, but next time I will only ship day old chicks and not when it is so hot.
Fortunately, I have kept them quarantined away from my other chicks. I certainly hope they make it and will do all I can to make sure they do.
fl.gif

Oh, I hope they do well. It sounds like you've got it under control. Thanks for posting...I learned something about Express mail not being "express"...

Quote:
Yep John...this is very true. The stress of shipping older chicks in the heat could very well cause a problem even with cocci. The box looked like it had been turned upside down and squashed!

Asher...I know you were trying to help...thank you.
big_smile.png
I just realized when I read your post that I have not been on BYC very long so I didn't want anyone to think I was a newbie to chicks, just because I was a newbie to BYC...LOL.

On a good note, the Sulmet seems to have gotten the bloody stools under control. I do still have two weak chicks, though. I plan on treating for the full 6 days noted on the bottle.

DutchChic

Off Topic......

"Slave to a herd of dairy goats" What Kind?

I got me a long distance friend there in Claremore
that has some goats
smile.png

Won't put her name here
smile.png

John

Edited for speeelllllingsss
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I have registered Nubians, and a couple of pet Nigerian Dwarfs. I have several Nubians for sale....your friend need any goats? I'll make her a heck of a deal! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom