Gosling attacking older ducks

Kidghost

In the Brooder
May 15, 2022
Hi all. I recently added a gosling to my little flock. Now, he gets along with all my ducklings but when I tried to introduce him to my ducks, they don’t seem interested in him but if they get too close he’ll start biting their wings and chasing them. The ducks run around with him on their tail feathers until they get tired of it and try tossing him off which has caused him to get hurt a few time. However, he’s very stubborn and just doesn’t learn (we’ve named him Edward Elric because of all of this).

Is this normal? Should I be concerned about when he’s older and bigger than them? I’ve heard ducks attacking a gosling but not vice versa. Right now Ed hangs out with all the other ducklings, separated from the adults (only by chicken wire) but eventually everyone will have to cohabitate and I want to fix this before it becomes a bigger problem.

My adult geese will go after my ducks, and have killed a few chickens they cornered. Geese don't like any bird they aren't familiar with. Geese are best kept with other geese. They are big birds and can do some damage to other birds. Yours may develop tolerance as it matures, and becomes more familiar with your other birds, or it may become worse. Ganders especially can be trouble in my experiences.

Kinda what goslings do. I have 2 groups of Goslings in the pasture together during the day. For the first few weeks it was like gang wars on who was top for the day its been a month and there starting to settle in. It helps to have multiple water and feed sources far away from each other. But the goose wants will be both so far away helps. Im not sure why but I raised runner ducks and a lone goose together last year. When I introduced them to my flock even the baby runners scared all my adults. It took a month but all my ducks are best buddy's. The goose never would go near my geese so got re homed to a girl with ducks and has done well ever since. Every goose is unique I wish great success.

Back
Top Bottom