Gosling becomes Big Sister

Discussion in 'Geese' started by gryeyes, Jul 7, 2011.

1. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I bought a pair of Touslouse goslings, a sexed pair, and they were shipped with "packing peanut" chicks, all hatched the same day. The male gosling died within a week, so I bought another gosling for company... but that gosling (likely a drake) was at least 3 weeks older, and HUGE, so I couldn't add it to the brooder with my little girl gosling and her minion Packing Peanuts. He went out with the flock and is very happy with the chickens and ducks.

As Kate grew, the chicks began to use her larger body as they would a broody mom, which annoyed her at first.

Well, now, that pack is about 3 weeks old. Kate lets the chicks nestle next to her, on top of her (only two at a time before she stands up and they fall off), and even under her wings at night. She's become very protective of them. They're all alone in a very large coop (converted garage) until I get the rest of my flock moved to my new home.

But it's so cute to see this little gosling run her pack o' chick minions (10 cockerels and two pullets) with a gentle bill.
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:That is very sweet, I'm sure she really enjoys the company too. Thanks for sharing, and she is adorable [​IMG]

3. littlenell1

littlenell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    UK
    We have a pair of young goslings, and they are doing brill with our 2 day old duckling hatch of 9! They cuddle into them and are really careful where they put their feet! So cute...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by