Gosling introduction to free range flock

Vaughnr007

Songster
5 Years
Dec 23, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
We've got 16 white chinese geese that free range and have a 1/2 ac pond to swim on. We would like to add 6-8 more to the gaggle. How is the best way to introduce new, incubator hatched goslings to the gaggle without them forming their own click?

I've never had white Chinese, but my experience with other breeds has shown them to have strong parenting instincts. Generally if goslings are penned where the adults can interact through the wire, the adult flock eventually adopts them. Good luck and of course monitor in case there is a trouble maker in the flock. Have birds in the flock ever raised goslings? If so that increases the chance that they will adopt the goslings.

Last edited:
I'd be careful with the water until they are fully accepted and able to swim competently - the adults might drown them if they are hostile or just clumsy...

Not sure about best but this is my experience:

I put my 2 new white Chinese goslings in a wire dog crate w/ poultry fencing reinforcement in the coop. In a few hours one of the African hens was at the cage. That night she slept next to the hot plate as close as she could get to the babies. Next day I opened the crate and in she went inside and slept inside that night. Day 3 she is mommy goose. She still hasn't figured out babies want to cuddle for warmth so the heating plate remains, but the crate is gone.

She was already debating being broody and still spends a few hours every so often sitting on eggs. The other 2 hens and gander are curious, indifferent to fearful. The flockmates can get a bit shovy/pecky when the babies get close. The biggest issues are making sure babies stay warm -- so catching them and putting them under the brooding plate when they look chilled -- and babies chasing the wrong mommy the first few days terrorizing all.

My goslings aren't interested in the water yet, but I'm using a plastic sandbox not a pond. They wait outside while mommy bathes or flirts.

1 African gander, 3 African hens, 1 drake, 5 duck hens.

Back
Top Bottom