Goslings Hatching, help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JustDuckyTexas, May 4, 2008.

1. JustDuckyTexas

JustDuckyTexas New Egg

Apr 24, 2008
    Hi all. I hope someone who has hatched goslings can help.. I have 2 that pipped this morning. I helped the first one out this afternoon because the membrane was so thick even I had a hard time getting it off. Not dry, but super thick and rubbery. Now I am wondering if it is just that way for geese. She's OK, but I think it was a little too soon. So the second one, who pipped at the small end (!) maybe I'll name her Wrongway, I just wrapped in a very wet paper towel and left her in the bator. She is fine, beak out, breathing, peeping, but absolutely no progress since I first noticed the pip 12 hours ago. Should I help her out or wait...how long? I will be up all night with them anyway. And I have B&B guests to feed breakfast to! The zombie cook.

2. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I don't like to help my geese out. They do have very thick membranes! I've only had to help one out, out of 4 eggs, only because she hadn't made any progress in 18 hours and I was afraid she'd run out of air. All I did was make a hole for her to breath and she did the rest! You'd be surprise what the goslings can do. Now the one at the wrong way, I'd watch her close and make sure she has air and if after 24 hours and she hasn't hatched out herself then help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by