Goslings still not eating... please help.

Thank you everyone. I am still crying. Yesterday was a really REALLY hard day. You get so attached to these little babies. I just love geese and I had such high hopes for these little ones.

I will say this: MM's customer service is unrivaled. I waited until 5:00ish to call yesterday to try to get myself under control (I really was a blubbering mess) but for some reason, on the phone, I lost it again. The woman was practically crying along with me. She was very kind and sympathetic. They refunded every penny of my order. It was a small comfort (I would rather have Wasabi back) but I thought it was very, well, good of them.

The woman said that in 14 years of working there she had NEVER heard of goslings not eating like these ones. It really is a mystery to all of us.

Since Wasabi died, the little gander, Sashimi, is much more bonded to us... which is a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it probably saved his life (all of a sudden he looked to us for advice, and when we "pecked" our fingers in the starter yesterday--for the 500th time--he actually imitated us and *ate some!*) but a curse because I wasn't really looking to raise another single gosling again. I remember how needy Sushi was last year, and Sashimi is just as bad. I feel so bad, he must be so lonely at night. I am going to continue looking for a gosling or a duckling for him but for now, we are just doing the best we can... however I am just so happy that he is picking at his food! I hope he makes it!
That is so wonderful to hear about MM doing that!!

I hope you can find a buddy for him but I am especially happy to hear that he is eating!!! Small battled hard won - so worth it!

lovesgliders -- There is a WONDERFUL sebastopol breeder in Maine, and I also have a contact in Vermont (not sure if that is close enough to drive??). Please pm me your contact info, and I will have them get in touch with you. I'm not sure if they have goslings on the ground yet or not.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss and struggle to save your babies. I recently purchased 12 goslings myself, and received them 1 week ago. To say the 8 super African geese are thriving would be an understatement. They grow in front of my eyes. HOWEVER, in the group of the 4 Sebastopol geese, 3 are doing well, but 1 is just like your little wasabi. It just won't eat and thus isn't growing. I don't know what happened. They ALL seemed to be doing well, but the one little one just continues to take a dive and is now 3x smaller than any of the other geese with a depressed expression on it's face. I tried separating it, thinking it wasn't able to get to the feed, but it just never eats and cries distressfully for the others. Tried the slurry, lettuce, etc. Nothing inspires this little one to eat. It's so sad. What causes this sudden failure to thrive????? It's heart breaking! At least you got your little sashimi to start eating again :)

Back
Top Bottom