Goslings with ducklings in enclosure?

Duck Duck Geese

Hatching
Jul 16, 2020
My first question post! I have so much to learn from all of you! I am brand new to raising birds. I have four ducklings about a month old who are outside now in a secure pen, with a heat light at night, and come out into a 42 sq ft temporary fenced area around the coop during the day. I have two Embden goslings two weeks old still in a brooder indoors who are miserable there and unhappy with feed, first with the chick start (added niacin powder) and now with starter pellets, They perk up if I bring them grass, and at two weeks old they are huge and appear to be protesting brooder bondage :( That said, I have only one enclosure - with the ducks - and the coop is not big enough at only 10 sq ft. I have thought of putting them into the fenced area with the ducks during the day, back in the brooder at night, but fear that being nigh on impossible...
Ideas? Recommendations? Poor goslings!

Your geese will grow much faster then the ducklings but they should do o.k. together for a little while longer. We had our geese with our ducks to begin with and they did o.k. but when the geese got to be about 3 or 4 months old the ganders started to attack the ducks so they went out into a field and they have been happy since...that was three years ago. The geese have their field and their own house to sleep in and the ducks now have the run and the duck house to themselves as do our chickens. All is right with the world here as long as they are apart. Good luck.

Your geese will grow much faster then the ducklings but they should do o.k. together for a little while longer. We had our geese with our ducks to begin with and they did o.k. but when the geese got to be about 3 or 4 months old the ganders started to attack the ducks so they went out into a field and they have been happy since...that was three years ago. The geese have their field and their own house to sleep in and the ducks now have the run and the duck house to themselves as do our chickens. All is right with the world here as long as they are apart. Good luck.
Thank you for your good wishes! I just a few days ago co-mingled my four, two-month old ducklings with my two Embden goslings, six weeks of age. They have all been outdoors (very warm here in TN) each in their own coops within small fenced enclosures, so could hear and see each other. Then I put up about 75 ft of fencing on grass in a big oval and placed the coops with good space between them, and arranged separate feeding, watering and "bathing" spots (two new cat litter pans of water for each group- each gosling fills a pan lol). I will try to attach photos of the set up.
Both my goslings are females, very good-natured, and just seemed bewildered by the squawking, crazy running about of the ducklings when they entered the same enclosure. They (goslings Clarice and Emmaline) kept coming right up to me and giving me what I swear were comments and looks of reproach, like, How could you unleash them on us? The ducklings to my surprise have dominated the space from the get, moving in and out of the goose house and getting into everything set up for the goslings. The dominant duckling, a Buff Orpington named Saffron, actually tried a bill snap at one of the geese - but just once. There the gosling good nature ran out and a point was made!
So we'll see what happens as time goes on. Maybe like yours, my goslings will lose tolerance for the ducks will turn into aggression - but I'm hoping my sweet Embden girls stay that way. I have managed to get them into their separate abodes each night but they make me work at it!
I plan to always keep them housed separately at night.

Attachments

• Ducks_in_goose_house.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom