Got a call just now about a dead broody and need help. Update

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by willowcol, Apr 22, 2009.

1. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I got a call 20 minutes ago from a lady down the road, she got my number from a mutual friend. She had a broody hen in her yard on 15 eggs around 2 weeks (she didn't know for sure but said she was sure at least 2 weeks). A dog came in her yard and killed the hen and broke a few eggs. She wanted me to put the eggs in my incubator to see if they will still hatch. She had already disgarded the cracked egg that had a chick in it so I couldn't see it to try and tell how far along they are. My question is 2 are cracked but not leaking should I put them in or toss them, and if I have no Idea what day they are on what would be the best thing to do as far as turning and humidity? The hen wasn't her's but her neighbors who told her just to toss the eggs, she wants the babies back if they hatched and offered me money to try to save them ( I of coarse told her I didn't want money but would do what I could). The eggs were very cold when I got them but this just happend 2-3 hours ago would they still be ok.

UPDATE:
    They started hatching yesterday morning but I had to go help a freind move all day and didn't get home til late. When I got home 10 had hatched, which included the 2 that had cracked shells. by this morning 3 more had hatched. I was gone so my husband not knowing call them to come get the 13 that had hatched so no pictures of them. He gave up on the last egg but I didn't and just a minute ago it hatched. I got pictures of him, Which is what 5 of the others looked like and 8 looked like maybe BR since the were black and white with spots on thier heads. I am so glad I listened and put that wax on the cracks. all 14 eggs hatched and I feel really great for being able to help out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I say go for it and try to save what you can. There is no harm in trying. I would even try to save the cracked ones. If they start to leak or something then I would just watch them.

Get them in the bator for a while and back up to a good temp. and then try to candle them after they get settled in. You should be able to tell somewhat how far along they are.

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Throw away any cracked eggs. Put the rest in at 45% humidity for five days, then bring it up to 60%. Some if not all the eggs should hatch. NO CRACKED EGGS.

4. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    I lost power two times during the eggs I have going right now. Once for 24 hours and 8 hours the second. I have chicks developing. You'll have to guess on turning and humitity. Candling will help. Also internal peeping will help to. Good luck! It can be done.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If they are at least 2 weeks along put some birthday candle wax over the cracks and try to hatch those 2. They may not hatch but they just might! Lots of people have hatched cracked eggs.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I'd try it.......the cracked ones are a toughie, I would see where they are cracked and how bad before I made a decision on whether to toss....
    if the crack is over the air cell or is very small elsewhere(with no membrane rupture) I might try.....
    good luck if you decide to try...

eta- I have incubated and hatched a cracked egg that was shipped to me.....

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  7. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Ok I called her because the eggs look so clean and she said she wiped them off with damp paper towels. I hope this didn't hurt them but I candled 1 and it seemed to be moving still. The egg looked full, I will put wax on the cracked ones. they are both cracked near the large end so maybe it didn't hurt the membrane. Tomorrow I will try to candle them and see how many are even fertile or growing. I really don't like doing staggered hatchs so I might have to pull out the cooler bator for these. I have turkey eggs and chicken eggs in my bator already. Thanks for the help!

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Check on them and continue to turn daily. As soon as you see a pip, move them to the hatcher. Hope all goes well and the babies are saved. [​IMG]

9. willowcol

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Well a bit of good news, I candled them all this morning and all 14 have movement in them even the 2 that are cracked. They look very full so shouldn't be long, I guess when I see wiggling eggs I will up the humidity. Crossing fingers they do ok. Thanks for the advise!!

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I bet they will do great for you. Just a quick story....
    my first chicken eggs came from a friend of my daughter
    she went to a sleep over and came home with eggs because they were gonna throw them out. I didn't know a thing about chickens or incubating. I made an incubator and put them in about 10 hours after she brought them home. They were cold but from what I read it was ok since they weren't incubated. WRONG! I turned everyday, and at the 14 day mark I had a pip! They must have had a broody because over the course of that week I had 1 or 2 hatch a day. So after they were taken from the nest, set around all day, got turned until pip, they ALL hatched. They are pretty resilient.
    guess that wasn't as quick as I thought [​IMG]
    remember to post pics before they go back to their home [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by