Got a few I am unsure of...

chrispbrown27

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Bird #1....
Another picture of bird #1......

This one I am pretty sure is a Australorp in the background with mystery bird #1...any opinions to the contrary?....

This one is one of my older birds...and for the life of me I can't remember what breed it was!.....

And finally, I believe this is the only silverlaced Wyandotte I ended up with.....

One more of Mystery bird #1 with what I believe is a speckled sussex streaking by....
I am beginning to think mystery bird #1 is a rooster, because the comb is already becoming fairly pronounced....much more than the other birds around its age. Thanks for looking and for any info.
Chris

Last edited:
I got my birds from a couple of different places, but the bulk of them came from a local feed store. Mystery bird #1 came from the "mixed assorted breed" bin. They were a mix of different breeds that the owner wasn't even sure what all could have been in there....I kinda liked the idea of a surprise, but now I want to know what it is! The bigger birds came from the same place, but I can't remember what breed they were. The one I am pretty sure is a Speckled Sussex came from the same bin. The ones I am pretty sure are a Silver laced Wyandotte and and Australorp came from another place. They were both supposed to be Wyandottes.....that's what I get for trusting the kid that was working. Being my first year having chickens, I have learned that if I am going to go looking for specific breeds it's best to know what they look like and not count on the people that work there!
Chris

Your mystery bird reminds me a fair bit of (one of) my mystery bird, about which I posted here last night. Someone on that thread suggested maybe Egyptian Fayoumi. Do you think that might be what yours is, too?

After looking up the Egyptian Fayoumi I am fairly certain that is not the breed I have. I did some more looking around and I still haven't seen a picture of a bird that looks like mine.
Chris

I was the suggester, btw... and your bird #1 looks exactly like a young Fayoumi. If you have a chick picture we could confirm, since they are very striking as chicks and don't look like many other breeds. They start off gold and mottled looking, and then feather out more and more silver as your chick is doing. Here is an example of a young fayoumi pullet. Yours is starting to look like a cockerel.

Your Australorp could be an Ancona; it is hard for me to see just how mottled its coloring is from that photo.

I agree that you have one SLW, though its lacing is not very clear.

Your older bird looks like a Partridge Rock.

Nice birds!

Now the pictures I had found online of the Egyptian Fayoumi looked nothing like my mystery bird....the picture you posted looks very similar to my bird! I do not have any pictures of the bird at a younger age unfortunately.
Chris

Back
Top Bottom