Got a ? for those that know genetics :)

realtreegirl

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 25, 2013
I ordered a black frizzle cochin...well it is smooth :( Not sure if it is a pullet or cockeral yet. It is 5 weeks old and so sweet!

Once I use it for breeding what is the % of offspring that could be frizzled? Thank you much!

even though it was supposed to be frizzled? Meaning I was told there is a chance a "frizzle" may be smooth because not all end up being frizzled. So the smooth carries none of the genes even though mom or dad was frizzle. Just want to clarify. I thought mabey it drops to 25%. Thanks guys :)

even though it was supposed to be frizzled? Meaning I was told there is a chance a "frizzle" may be smooth because not all end up being frizzled. So the smooth carries none of the genes even though mom or dad was frizzle. Just want to clarify. I thought mabey it drops to 25%. Thanks guys :)
that is correct, if you dont see Frizzle that means he wont sire any Frizzle chicks, if bred to none-frizzle chicks

Ok thanks...darn I was hoping there was a chance. I so wanted a frizzle just my luck they send me a smooth. :(

Yep, it works a lot like blue. A blue cockbird can sire blue or black offspring if bred to a black, but no black offspring of that cross will produce blue offspring down the line if bred to another black - even a sibling from the same hatch - because the blue gene has been bred out entirely.

So, did you get this as an adult bird or did you buy a single Frizzled Cochin chick from My Pet Chicken?

If you bought it as an adult or older chick, then you were deceived and deserve a refund. If you got it from My Pet Chicken, I'd still ask for a refund or credit. I went to their site to check out what they say about them and saw this irresponsible statement: "The frizzling characteristic does not breed true, so a small percentage of birds will be smooth feathered." I suppose that they could either be culling out the smooth feathered chicks (assuming they are distinguishable as day-olds - - don't know, I don't do frizzles) or breeding "frazzled" to smooth (in which case, you should not have ended up with a smooth), but most likely they would have been breeding frizzle to smooth, and that gives 50% smooth birds. I don't think any reasonable person would describe 50% as a "small percentage".

Not Pet chicken. I ordered day old Black Frizzle Cochin Bantam from another online hatchery.

There are a fair number of frizzled cochin breeders out there. You could even check Craig's List or go to a local show. If any are being exhibited, it's usually not difficult to get the list of exhibitors contact listing. You can then get an actual frizzle and don't have to take what you get in the mail. It's nearly always the best way to go unless you're getting something truly difficult to come by.

Back
Top Bottom