got a indoor worm composting bin (photo blog)

Quote:
well i dont think they will get into the liquid because of the cloth liner above the liquid pan but i will stop putting onions in there i guess. should i remove the onions in there now you think?

also, what type of worms did you use for compost?

I use red wigglers and euro crawlers for composters.. the great thing with Euro's is they stay lively on the hook longer, and fish prefer them... so I am making wonderful compost, a lovely tea I save in coke bottles, and a free bait supply.

As far as the onions go, my experience hasn't been good with my own worms.. But if it is working for you so far, I see no reason to take them out.. but if you find the worms trying to get away from it, then it may not be a bad idea to remove them.

i just ordered 1000 more red wigglers(we started with 100). once they start to thrive i will introduce onions little by little to see how it goes.

what about coffee grounds?

Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif
You just made my day !
gig.gif

Quote:
oh man really? we eat a lot of onions and there is always waste with them.

we do have a liner in the composter that filters the liquid to the bottom for tea.

Yeah, that's where I found the worms when I used onions
hmm.png
I also use rubbermaid totes to compost with European Night crawlers.. and they climb the walls and exit the holes on top if I put something in there they dont like

OK a just had a chill..........
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
they LOVE coffee grounds and filters!!!!! Also, if you don't have enough organic stuff, you can use shredded newspapers and pizza boxes. Just have to make sure things are damp enough for them to move through without getting all cut up.

Quote:
Yeah, that's where I found the worms when I used onions
hmm.png
I also use rubbermaid totes to compost with European Night crawlers.. and they climb the walls and exit the holes on top if I put something in there they dont like

OK a just had a chill..........
sickbyc.gif

Imagine the conversation I had with my wife when one morning she had 500 wormies all over her dining room floor
hide.gif

Well, got me Googling and I came across this How Too... all sounded pretty normal until I got to this bit...

Use 4 old car tires: To make a four-tire wormery, create a base from old bricks or flagstones (must be flat and with as few cracks as possible). Place a layer of heavy newspaper on top of the bricks. Stuff four old tires with newspapers. Pile the tires on top of each other, with the first tire on the Sunday newspaper. Put some scrunched up paper or cardboard in the bottom to soak up any excess liquid. Fill the entire wormery with organic material (semi-composted is best). Add the composting worms (tiger or brandling species are best). Use a piece of board weighed down with bricks as a lid. The lid must be big enough to stop rain getting in. Harvest a tire's worth of fertilizer roughly every 8 weeks (during warm months).

So, Worm Knowledgey Folk would that actually work? 'Cuz tires I have...

Though, seems just a wee bit odd that I'd have to go out and buy a paper for the sole purpose of composting it.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom