Got a new Hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NineAndCounting, Oct 31, 2016.

1. NineAndCounting

NineAndCounting Just Hatched

Jun 26, 2016
    Hi everyone! I raised 15 chick, 6 of them belonged to a friend. She took her 6 when her coop was finished. All but 1 were eaten last week by a possum. [​IMG] I took the final one back to give her a chance at life! My flock accepted her back with no issues, however, she will not coop herself at night. I have to go looking for her and put her in there. I'd like to keep her cooped up for a few days so she knows where home is, but how do I do that without locking all the others in there, too? Should I put her in a pet carrier and let her out for short bursts? Or just lock everyone up? She also needs to know that's where she lays..Thanks!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    You could do either...I've always just gone cold turkey and put the new one in at dark (so it doesn't get picked on) and let them out at daybreak for the same reason. I do that for a couple days and the new ones adjust well. Good luck to you!

3. NineAndCounting

NineAndCounting Just Hatched

Jun 26, 2016
    Thanks! They aren't picking on her at all, luckily. She just doesn't go back to the coop at night. [​IMG] she goes and roosts on the fence or tree... And she's black so finding her isn't the easiest. Lol

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Hmmm....how big is your coop, in feet by feet?
    How long is your roost....again in feet?
    Do you have a run?
    Pics of coop/run, inside and out might help us see something.

How old are the birds?
    I assume at least 6 months?
    Where is she laying?

I wonder if they are letting her roost, that is prime time for pecking order issues even in a long living together flock. Even if you lock her and/or all in for a week or so they might still not let her roost.
    Are you able to watch the flock around roost time, does/has she ever tried to go to coop at dusk?

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I would give her a few days locked in the coop/run......She has not started to think of your coop as home...Being they all get along it wont take long for her to settle in...Try locking your birds in for a few days or even her....You know your set up...

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by