Got a new project for the year - the rainbow carton :)

safarichick101

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2009
College Station TX
I need help starting a small business of selling cartons of eggs containing all shades possible! I already have chickens but I think it would be nice to earn some cash for the pocket. I would like to stick with large eggs and good layers. I am a fan of the docile breeds though I do know that the good white layers are far from it.

so...

Brown eggs - Speckled Sussex and Deleware.
Dark Brown - Welsummer (I would take marans but I've heard they do poorly in high temps)
White- Exequer Leghorn and Blue Andalusian
Blue eggs - Ameraucanas (HQ)
Green Eggs - Hatchery quality ee's (sold as ameraucanas, but I already know their secret
tongue.png
)
Tinted eggs - Faverolles

What do you think? Do you have any suggestions as to what breeds and such? Any colors that I'm missing?

Pretty much I want some good suggestions as to what breeds I should get for the different colors (and where I should get them). Ideal has been my primary source but that will obviously not due for the ameraucanas. I'm pretty satisfied with the quality of the rest of my chickens from them. Also. I am pretty limited on space (I have almost 3 acres). So I can't have a flock of 100 or too many roos. My neighbors are close by.

(personal information removed by staff)

Last edited by a moderator:
My speckled sussex lay a very pale egg, barely brown. My Marans do well in our very hot summers. Also if you get EEs from a hatchery there's no guarantee they'll lay colored eggs.

Last edited:
okay, so what lays the richest dark brown egg? Barnevelder vs. welsummer vs. marans? And I do like orps but mine rarely lays. I do love their pink eggs though! Should I get some more? And what do you recommend for normal brown?

Good on you for trying to make some extra money and what a great way to do it. Australorps lay a brown egg and mine lay nearly every day.

I really like australorps because they seem to have the personality of orpingtons (I know the orp is the ''mother'' of the australorp) but do you think they would get to hot with the black feathering? I get really worried about that.

Quote:
I just posted the same thing on the other thread that just got locked, My Sussex eggs are also very light brown to cream colored, they are a good breed, but I would also suggest that you get something like Barred Rocks or RIRs for med. brown eggs.

Back
Top Bottom