Got a new trio of Sebastopol geese yesterday

Sebastopols are very even tempered, sweet, non-demanding geese. I can & do hold all my geese without any problems. Normally they're not overly loud but they do have their moments. If they see me coming with treats, they start dancing and honking. They're also good at alerting us to strangers coming onto the property but for the most part you wouldn't know that were here most days.

So happy to read thats things went so well. Of course knowing well where they come from does sometimes allow for a shortened quarantine time, I have had one drake with about 3 seconds Quarantine. I had a seperate area for him- but within seconds of coming out of the crate- he was straight over the fence and in with the flock. Most of them didnt even take a sideways glance at him!!!

I may have some eggs lined up for next spring, otherwise I might just have to plan a trip to go visit some of the lovely people over in the USA I have through poultry just to get my fix of goosiness.

What a lovely trio of Sebastopols and in lovely feather condition
fl.gif
You must be thrilled to bits with them. Congratulations
celebrate.gif

thumbsup.gif

QuakerJackFarms - Sebastopol eggs appear to be no more difficult to hatch than other goose eggs as long as the principles of good incubation techniques are followed
big_smile.png

Pete
wink.png

Quote:
I agree with Pete. I don't find that they are any more difficult to hatch than any other goose egg. I think some confuse fertility issues with hatching problems. They say that Sebastopols have more fertility issues due to their heavy feathering on their backside. I've found that to be true this past year. My geese laid well over 150 eggs and we ended up with 99 goslings exactly. So 33 percent of the eggs weren't fertile. We had 12 that were DIS (dead in shell) I don't know how that compares to fertility rates in other goose species but I thought it was high.

When we had a smaller flock (6 geese) we had a higher fertility rate. This year we had 12 geese and had less. I'm keeping records so that I know what's going on. Also last year, by this time, my flock had already started laying. They started around November 16th. They continued to lay until mid May. Some of my females actually went to nest twice. That's why we had so many eggs/goslings.

Some people will trim the feathering on the backsides of their geese so that it makes contact easier. If you're not going to show them, this is a feasible idea, I suppose. I've basically let nature take its course and let what will happen, happen.

Laurie

Thanks Laurie (and Pete)

I have been thinking about hatching some out. I love these geese, they are so beautiful. But I'm worried because I haven't had the best luck with my ducks, and I'm worried about taking on a new type of waterfowl.

Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom