got a question about poop and chickens.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by rancher hicks, May 18, 2010.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Yeah I think this goes here. My DD is pregnant and wondered about being so and around chicks, chickens and their poop. You know the danger about cat boxes and cat poop? Is there any problem with chickens? She has been holding chicks and collecting fresh eggs.

2. patnjess

patnjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    yep there is. same deal, but they can harbor other parasites that can be in there.
    When I was pg, dr told me I could collect eggs and feed, but to wash my hands really well, and dont be near it when it is being cleaned.

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks DD is concerned. she's 26 wks along.

4. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    My doc jut advised me to be careful and make sure I wash my hands well.i even told her when i was 33weeks along and cleaning out the coop before winter and she just said to have fun, not work too hard and try not to inhale too much dust. But my doc also grew up on a farm with chickens so...she may be a little more lax about it LOL.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I would definitely check with the doctor. I can't remember WHY you can't change a cat box, but I know it is because of something bad.

6. sune42

sune42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:It's some sort of parasite, or germ or something like that. My dr actually said if I have been around my cat for a while (read a few years) I didn't need to worry, cause I was used to or immune to my cat's own breed of cooties. So I could change the litter box....I just didn't tell my husband that part. [​IMG]

7. NewHen

NewHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Quote:Cats may carry toxoplasma and shed it in their feces. Usually healthy adults would only get a passing illness, but a pregnant mother can unknowingly pass the infection to the unborn child, possibly leading to minor to major issues (from fevers, prematurity, abnormal head size, retinal malformation, mental retardation, seizures , even death of the fetus).

If you look up toxoplasmosis and chickens in pubmed.gov you can read about toxoplasmosis risks with chickens. One study found 30% of house chickens vs 11% of farm chicks had been infected with the parasite. The parasite also may be contracted by eating undercooked meats and poorly washed fruits and vegetables.

I don't know this info reassures or scares a person. I recommend each pregnant person speak to their own OB and then err on the side safety, without freaking out and worrying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by