Got a silkie yesterday now some questions...

2hot2chicken

Songster
8 Years
Jul 15, 2011
Beaverton
Ok... just wondering if anyone has heard of a chicken laying an egg because of stress?
Yesterday I bought a 1 1/2 year old steel gray silkie hen.
She is very skittish especially compared to the pullets weve been hand raising. But we got her to help teach our other chickens how to be chickens.
For the last week they are continuing to try to come in the house whenever the back door is opened. and our BR are old enough to be laying but havn't started yet so we thought it would be a good start for them to see another hen laying as weel.

I couldn't quaranteen as I am outa room at the moment and didn't want to keep her in the house since I have chicks supposed to be on the way. I know bad on my part but I thoroughly checked her over and she appeared healthy and happy. I watched for her to pass a stool before agreeing to buy her and checked it for normalness (no worms or anything) and she was from a small breeder who only had 2 roosters and 10 hens n a few chicks.

Anyway, she went right into the coop yesterday when we got home and then I put the rest to bed last night. I checked on them at 2am and they were all sleeping with her under the nest boxes still where she had been since bringing her home. This morning I didn't let em out cause the weather was very windy and cold (bout 60deg).But I did go out and check on them and they were all up and the new girl was right in the middle of my br girls standing next to my nasty girl. And at 2pm it was wormer so I let em all out to free range and she hung out with the BR all day. It was either the easiest introduction or the fastest in history I think?

Next problem.....
My dog is protective of the chickens and has been herding our pullets around since they where in the house! She apparently took the new girl (who is scared of dogs already) as an intruder and tried to attack. Luckily I was there and all she got was a small tuft of fluff before being wacked with a broom as I am pregnant and couldn't waddle after her very fast. Freaked the poor silkie out to no end however and she went into a shocky trans for a few minutes. I picked her up and cuddled her for a while and she calmed down so I let her go with the BR girls again. She bolted to my flower bed and layed down under a bush where we left her for a while. Then my kids tried to pick her up to make sure she was ok and there was an egg under her! Small but I think normal for silkies. She was very noisy when the kids picked her up so going broody maybe?

I moved her and her egg into the coop in a nest box and she hasn't tried to leave it for a couple of hours now.
I'm hoping she is going broody and will hatch the egg(s)(hoping she lays more). She is on the smaller size but the rooster she was in with was very large for a silkie and a beautiful splash color! I would love for her to hatch me some babies as thats part of why I chose silkies to begin with. Has anyone else had this happen? I figured a week and was just talking to my husband and his dad about how I think it will be a week or so for her to settle and be comfertable and start laying regularly, for a silkie anyway. Low and behold a few minutes later my kids find her on an egg......

I think she just heard me and had to prove me wrong in front of everyone!
wink.png

Yes, I have witnessed a hen lay an egg (it was soft shelled) because of stress. My husband had to suddenly take off across the yard (i don't remember why) and he scared one of the hens. She was so scared she squatted and out popped an egg. It was instant in this case though.

She probably had the egg going already, and it was just close to time to lay it. If she truly goes broody you won't get any more eggs out of her, although it's rare for them to go broody after being moved to a new home and it will also cause them to stop laying. Once she gets settled in let a few eggs build up and she'll probably sit on them for you.
wink.png

I think this is what happened in my coop yesterday. We had tried to introduce two BO and an EE into the mix...did not go well. But yesterday we had two extra eggs. The BO hid in the nestboxes the entire time they were in there, finally had to take them out and back to the 'teen and to be rehomed chickens' Today....two less eggs. I really think they were close to laying and the stress of being in there just popped them out. lol

That is kinda what I figured to. I just was more than a little bit supprised to find a fully formed egg layed after a tramatic event. something without a shell or deformedor something sure but a fully formed egg no.

I am positive now tho that my dog was just protecting the other chickens from the intruder. I let her out tonight after I put the silkie away to see how she did with the others. I will not have a dog killing chickens. And other than following them around and bumping their butts to try to herd them together she did nothing. I didn't think about how she would react since it was in my eyes just another chicken. Tho I see it now, strang looking and very loud where as mine are quiet and they were raised in the house under her protective eyes. I know its not funny but since she got away with just a few feathers missing from her butt I do find it a little bit so. I will be trying a proper introduction tomorrow with the dog if she comes out of the coop. From about 5 pm on she has stayed in the same nest box laying on the egg so we will see I guess. I do kind of hop e she is broody as the splash colored rooster she was in with was beautiful and I do not have a rooster so I know she will only be fertile for a short time. But it would be nice to if she would lay more than 1 egg before deciding to brood em......

How long could I expect her to be fertile? Since I have no rooster the last time she could have been bred would have been day before yesterday.

Thanks

I agree...
Quote:
It can take up to 3 weeks sometimes for the eggs to become infertile. You may want to break one open to check.

Last edited:
When I break it open how do I tell if its fertile and how soon do I do it? I figured I would wait a week if she remains on this egg in hopes it does hatch and I will candle it. If she chooses not to sit on it then I will break it open.

Need to know what to look for tho? I didn't know you could tell a difference?

well she got off the egg this morning and it was cold so I will break it open. Its pretty cold here today so I am gona leave it in there for another day or so as a dummy egg for my other hens to hopfully give them the idea! LOL
I will break it open tomorrow and check to see if fertile.
Thanks for the great pics!

Back
Top Bottom