Got an egg!!!! but...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickensducks&agoose, Sep 15, 2009.

1. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's the deal: I have a year old black swedish, who was laying eggs regularly until July. She was laying nice big white eggs.... then nothing... in early May, I got 2 KCs a pekin and 2 mallards. The KCs, pekin and black swedish all sleep in the same hut... this morning, there was an egg, but it is smallish, and covered with strange grey stuff, that I can scrub off with the scrubby part of a sponge... is this my black swede just starting back up,and that's why it's strange? or is this another duck starting for real??? I might pen them up separately tonight, to try to figure out who is doing it... probably not the pekin, right?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    That is the bloom. Some ducks just have a grungy bloom. I would wait a week or so and see how the eggs look. My buff just started laying and her first 2 eggs were tiny and grungy. The one she laid today is pretty big and less grungy.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mallards would lay a smaller egg, and often times they are blue. So it could be from one of your mallards [​IMG]

4. How old are the new ducks?

5. chickensducks&agoose

born beginning of may, so 17 weeks? maybe 18?

6. Congratulations!! [​IMG]
    So like everyone said, at that age those could easily be the first new egg, those often come out a little funky. Not likely the Pekin like you said. I separated mine to figure out who layed what too.

7. chickensducks&agoose

I put my KC's (spring and Summer) in a 3x3 cage, and we'll see if I have any eggs in the morning!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by