1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

got basket of big tough okra

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ladyearth, Sep 24, 2014.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    the older 2 years old or so chickens,I bought back in March wont eat them
    I cut the okra tough big pods open and give (the younger chickens 3 to 6 months old set, ones)the seeds.. They were eating them. now I guess they are tired of the okra.
    so if i let them dry out will the chickens and can they during the winter? I dont need to save( them the seeds) to plant for next years as I have plenty.
    At least my produce is all organic I grow.
    someone mentioned to limit the okra... Why?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The only reason I can think of, is not to give them so much of one type of food that it gets their nutritional balance out of whack. Just common sense, really. I don't see why you can't save the seeeds for them for later.

3. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    If you are into fermenting their feed, I bet if you added a handful to your bucket of fermented feed, it would help soften up the pods. Or ferment them on their own, like pickles or kraut (without the salt, you could use a couple cups or so of vinegar per gallon) and feed as an occasional treat during the winter. I've never done this with okra, so I don't know how it turns out, but perhaps it might turn out gooey and slimey like okra can do, but it should be fine as long it smells "pickled" or the pH is below 4.0. Don't worry if you don't have a way to test pH, most ferments turn out fine.

Here's a recipe, but I'd chop up the okra (or coarsely puree in a food processor) and omit the salt (or reduce from 5t to 1t) if I were you and other ingredients would also be optional:
    http://www.culturesforhealth.com/okra-pickles-recipe

pd

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by