Got Cleaned!

chickenlover124

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
So like 4 days ago i saw a fox trying to get into the run at about 5:00 am so i ran it off and had put the hens in the coop for a few days then said ok i havent seen a sign of him and had a live trap out so i let them back out yesterday then this morning i wake up to feathers all over the yard and 0 chickens left "except for my broodie in the coop" but she could have goten eaten if the whatever wanted to but any ways i then began searching all over for my hens and found only 1 intact then about a km down the road i found another with its head ripped off and so i brought them back and when i got back 1 hen had returned from somewhere but i only have 1 layer and 1 broodie left what got into the run and how can i make it stop i would love to get more hens. i also caught a coon in a trap about 2 days ago but shot it and also set 2 live traps near the coop with a chicken in front of each one and sardienes in the traps an a am going to set 2 trail cameras tomorrow.

I'm sorry some of your chickens were killed. The trail cams are a good idea. I have heard that foxes are quite difficult to trap, they are very sensitive to human smells on traps or anything that even looks like a trap. Trapping helps when there is a very determined predator, but after dealing with my own predators I've decided that the best offence is a good defense. Both raccoons and foxes are good at climbing and digging. Here is a link to info on predators:
http://professorchickenspredators.webs.com/

yuckyuck.gif

But if I'm not mistaken, aren't foxes protected by the government or something like that? Or am I thinking about eagles and such?

Back
Top Bottom