got eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by portlandpeeps, Oct 14, 2008.

1. portlandpeeps

portlandpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Portland Oregon
    I'm curious to know if anyone's getting any eggs during this transition to fall and cooler weather. We haven't had any fresh eggs for weeks.

2. MNKris

MNKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    I am getting 18-24 eggs from about 30 hens right now in the one pen and in others like my partridge cochins, I am only getting 5-7 eggs from 15 hens!

3. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    Our egg production is down to about half. We have about 50 hens.

4. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    Are they getting enough light? mine are still laying, but as the winter rolls in, they will need artificial light to keep laying through the winter. I have mine set up on a timer but have not started using it yet.

5. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

the out door girls are taking there vacation but the inside hens with the artificial light and timers are still laying the same amount.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't use artificial lighting and don't intend to. Not all my hens are laying yet, but the ones that are have slowed down this week.

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i still get the same amount now as i did all summer,, except my old hen has slowed cause of molting,, but i've even had 2 extra for the last week [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. mtnnana

mtnnana Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    new mexico
    yes, have 5 mo old nn and they have been laying approx. 4 eggs a day for the past 2 weeks. we have 20 hens. we have gotten 2 double yolk eggs. It has been below freezing here for the past couple of nights and we had snow this am. I know not all are laying yet, but don't know which ones. The eggs are about medium size (except for the double yolk eggs). The hens are babies yet and i expect the eggs to get larger in the spring. the production is increasing and we do not have a light in the coop. we had a tornado touch down about 12 miles away and the change in pressure frightened the hens, but did not slow down the egg production.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  9. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    Our fifteen 23-week-old Buff Orpingtons started laying two weeks ago. We have three confirmed layers, and are getting three a day.

I have a timed light in the coop, because there aren't any windows, yet. They molted before they started laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by