portlandpeeps

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
Portland Oregon
I'm curious to know if anyone's getting any eggs during this transition to fall and cooler weather. We haven't had any fresh eggs for weeks.

MNKris

Songster
12 Years
Nov 1, 2007
I am getting 18-24 eggs from about 30 hens right now in the one pen and in others like my partridge cochins, I am only getting 5-7 eggs from 15 hens!

muddler6

Songster
12 Years
Sep 12, 2007
Jefferson County, PA
Are they getting enough light? mine are still laying, but as the winter rolls in, they will need artificial light to keep laying through the winter. I have mine set up on a timer but have not started using it yet.

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
12 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I don't use artificial lighting and don't intend to. Not all my hens are laying yet, but the ones that are have slowed down this week.

mtnnana

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
new mexico
yes, have 5 mo old nn and they have been laying approx. 4 eggs a day for the past 2 weeks. we have 20 hens. we have gotten 2 double yolk eggs. It has been below freezing here for the past couple of nights and we had snow this am. I know not all are laying yet, but don't know which ones. The eggs are about medium size (except for the double yolk eggs). The hens are babies yet and i expect the eggs to get larger in the spring. the production is increasing and we do not have a light in the coop. we had a tornado touch down about 12 miles away and the change in pressure frightened the hens, but did not slow down the egg production.

Last edited:

Nemo

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
N'rn Wisconsin
Our fifteen 23-week-old Buff Orpingtons started laying two weeks ago. We have three confirmed layers, and are getting three a day.

I have a timed light in the coop, because there aren't any windows, yet. They molted before they started laying.

Top Bottom