Got fed up and finally made me a PVC feeder!!

Thanks, we may try to raise it a little bit more and see how the shorter ones do. I watched them yesterday they shoveled a bunch out then ate it off the floor of the coop. It is the same color as the bedding so I can't tell how much is left on the floor in their. I showed DH a pic of a wood wall feeder and he may build that soon.

You can try and install a short 3inch long piece of PVC into the opening to extend the angle, I did do this for about a week while they were younger, it made them stick their necks in just a little farther and made it almost impossible to shovel any food.

Quote:
Been in your shoes! I built 4 PVC feeders and am so happy I did, little buggers can't waste the feed like the other feeders.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/58941_food_station.jpg

We have two like this and we are seeing a lot of feed waste, they are able to shovel it out. I made another post about this problem. We can raise them anymore or some of the girls won't be able to reach it. Are you finding the problem as well. We use mash feed. I think we need to change it in some way to cut down on the waste. They do eat it off the coop floor however.

We had this happen when we first built ours. So we just cut a short piece of PVC pipe to extend the opening another 1 1/2-2 in. beyond the start of the Y pipe. It solved almost all of the food slinging! We built two more of these feeders inside the coop. We put a cement paver stone on the floor in front of the feeders so our younger chicks could reach the food. The one year old hens just stand behind the paver and eat while the younger ones stand on it and have no problems reaching the food.

Back
Top Bottom