Got Flogged by A rooster tonight

Quote:
Yep! Definitely! Just a couple weeks ago, I was late to my own son's birthday party b/c I had to run to Walmart last minute for some supplies. On my way back, traffic was stopped dead at an intersection b/c there were about 8 people trying to coax a little dog (looked like a chihuahua) out of the street. But every time it got on the sidewalk, they would all advance, bent over, with very coaxing unsure body language, trying to get the terrified dog to come to them. I sat in my car for 15 min. An older gentleman got out of his car in front of me with a blanket and was trying to throw it over her. Then I finally got out, walked over, the dog was snapping at the older man who was trying to coax her in that baby talk voice to "Come here, little puppy, it's ok..." So I walked over and said in my "firm" voice, "Sit!" The dog did not sit, but her ears came up and she stopped dancing around and she looked at me instead of looking for the way out. I went to pick her up and she snapped at me, so I said, again in my FIRM VOICE (which I have been told is scary and must be obeyed, but I do NOT raise my voice!) "No! Sit!" And I picked her up, and THEN I started talking to her in my calming baby talk voice, "Oh who's a good girls? Was you scared? Poor baby!" Pet her for a little bit, and handed her to the woman who was waiting to take her (not her dog, someone must have dumped her at the intersection.
sad.png
) While I was walking away, the older man says, "I don't know who taught you about dogs, young lady (I have 4 kids, I take offense to that), but you should NEVER yell at a dog like that!" I just gave him an incredulous look and walked on. Yeah, buddy, who picked up the dog without getting bitten? Whose voice made her calm? Dogs don't want to be babied when they're terrified. They want someone to tell them what to do.

How dare you yell at a dog??????

lol.png
lau.gif
gig.gif

Don't you know you should run at them with a flapping blanket while making cooing noises? THAT is a surefire way to calm a dog....sheesh! What were you thinking?
tongue.png

I think it is time to challenge the notion that asserting self over rooster by assault and / battery works to suppress rooster aggression directed at keeper. I have always been taught by old timers that with game roosters you do not strike or threaten them, especially when they are in blood feathers. Doing so increases odds bird will respond aggressively to keeper in future. Game roosters in game rooster setting are given a great deal more hands on treatment and parties doing such I think have considerable insight in what is operating inside birds head.

Somebody needs to test these methods and compare them to doing nothing. Such needs to take into account genetic background. Otherwise we are running risk of directing the inexperienced to engage in activities that make rooster aggression in the form of manfighting more frequent and/or serious.

Somebody needs to test these methods and compare them to doing nothing

Well...if you care to read my posts, I have already tested my methods with a 100% success rate.

Now...since I've tested the methods, I say you do the "doing nothing" and let us know how that turns out for you.
wink.png

assault and / battery

lol.png
I'm sorry...but the tendency to paint these methods in such over the top terms to make them seem more violent just decreases credibility.
roll.png

Quote:
I prefer to sit in the front row in this school of thought, Bee is correct in her assertion that country folks who have had animals all their lives must find a way to co-exsist, I find in most cases these animals are more well adjusted, better cared for, and have better attitudes about where their place is on the farm. Rarely will you see a chicken farmer at the Petco buying or ordering an apron cause the rooster is too rough on the hen's, he just trims the spurs lickity split with a slight thumb twist and all is right with the world once again. In farm yard chickens don't get colds, they don't come down with weird or goofy ailments, Why because they are cared for correctly they are left to do as chickens do and not fussed over at every turn so as to sissyify them to the point that they no longer want to care for themselfs but would rather the big tall human do all the work. They allways have a purpose on the farm, they know that, the farm is a great place to live an understand the ways of the animal world.

I don't ....nor will I ever knowingly hurt an animal but firm disipline can be accomplished very effectively when administered properly, this how it must be.......... why ........... because it works, it works fast because we don't waste valuable time jacking around with a bunch of goofy half hearted attempts because of some folks misguided idea of what is acceptable and what is not in order to not hurt their feelings, my feelings come first not the chickens. This working attitude keeps a very even keel and rhythm about the farm, I don't get all mushy about them but I do care for them very much and when one becomes injured or sick I am there in a heartbeat........... to quickly make a decision and act swiftly, whether it be to save it or not. Whatever the decision is it is done without fuss and a firm resovle. Then we can get back to work without having to call Oprah and have a crying session over an injured chickens foot.

This thread topic is as much for proper action as it is reaction and common sense, Don't make the mistake that we here are rooster beaters as this is so very far from the truth, we are discussing our preferred method of taming a roosters bad attitiude so as to return him to his proper place in the universe LOL (your flock & breeding pen's) and he can become productive !!!!! not happy !!!! but content !!!!!!. Until the next time.

AL

Beekissed,

Credibility is why I stand ground.

Comparison not made in what I read of your accounts. To test properly, you need a dozen or so roosters from same strain, house them individually and expose yourself to them. Randomly assign your response treatments to birds, half treated with your form of "tough love" and half with no response (control). Continue treatments for whatever time frame you feel is appropriate, then estimate how aggressive the average level of aggression is per each treatment.

Comparison can not be made if one party does one treatment only and another party does the other, otherwise you can not say it was not the party affecting results more than treatment.

I can claim to have a 100% success rate using my method (control). It is only a claim without something to compare with it.

If I were to treat my neighbor like you suggest treating the aggressive rooster, then I could be arrested and charged with battery so "assault and battery" statement is not so over the top.

Quote:
It seems like it would be very hard to get any sort of a control group in this experiment, to many variables.
However I think when someone having done one approach several times over a period with different roosters and weighing that against another form of correction with a different group of roosters again over a period of time, and also weighing that and gauge it's effectiveness is probably all that is required. The comfort level with the various methods is what is to be highlighted, meaning we all see so many threads where the calm ooohhy gooohy approach is met with very limited success, while we who practice a more firm appoach are met with very good results but are discouraged from posting the accolades of such methods for fear of being criticized fiercely by the ooooohhy gooohhy folks. we just wanted a place to feel welcomed while still obeying the thread Nazis protocal and rules. Nobody here is advocating super harsh or mean treatment as it may seem that way because we can't sugar coat such a common sense method, that's all nothing more. I do like your tough Love analogy it has a ring to it, except for the love part LOL. Anyway I just wanted to encourage more participation and thank you for yours.

AL

Last edited:
I have only had about 6 or 7 roosters that ever flogged or hit me from behind as they allways do, I use my method and my DW has tried the other method as that is what she was cool with at the time. well over a period of a few years she has become a convert because she really got tired of failure and was getting hurt when she went to chore. Now if it happens she just say's hey Hon that so & so rooster came at me today, then I do as any good hubby would and march out there we do our little dance and take care of the problem. When she goes to chore the next day problem solved............... and I get to keep a nice rooster........it works for us.

Last edited:
AL,

Trial described has one variable, namely treatment. If too many variables apparent, then method of testing is not standardized. I have used my method over many roosters, more than 2/3's of my birds older than 20 weeks are roosters where aggressive tendencies are constantly taken into consideration.

If trial I suggest above fails to support "tough love" as being more effective than control, then either different method of "tough love" needs to be tweaked or genetics needs to be considered. With my birds, with all else being equal, genetics has a stronger influence on manfighting than any other variable. If that is born out with other breeds, then for many folks the emphasis for controlling aggression may need to go back selection process for breeding pen.

Jim

The work done in the breeding pen's may be a more credible argument and a good start to curtailing a prolonged problem. Genetics must be taken seriously as in my case the heritage/lineage of my breed has some Oriental game in it's backround so I have more cases of aggresion towards me and other roosters in adjoining pen's where they can see each other.

Back
Top Bottom