Got Flogged by A rooster tonight

Try what you've read about schooling your rooster and also you might work on your confidence level. Wear long pants and sturdy shoes, stride out like you mean it and don't give way when he is in front of you. Since he attacks from behind, you need to switch this scene....attack him from behind when he least expects it. Just like a rooster does. It's the only language they understand, really, and the only one they are going to recognize you as an authority.

It's your fear and hesitation that marks you as vulnerable, so eliminate those and then go on the offensive instead of the defensive and you shouldn't have any more problems. Every once in a while reinforce this teaching by lunging at him and stomping...make him HOP and run when he least expects he is in danger. Whoever runs is the loser. Since you ran, you lost. Never run again, never back down, keep going forward no matter what he does.

Soon you won't have to do that and you will have a rooster that is always looking over HIS shoulder for you instead of the other way around. It's not too late, if you just take a few minutes of your routine to tend to teaching him the rules of the coop. In the pecking order, you should always be at the top.

My EE Roo is wonderful to his girls, has saved two from hawk attacks, and keeps them together while free ranging. But when he hit 9 months old he started attacking the hubby (who is not a farm animal kind of guy). About a month later he started doing it to me. I've gone the kicking route. I've held him and walked around the yard having a nice conversation about why his name is General Tso. I totally humiliate him in front of the girls. It worked at first, but now he's challenging every couple of days. Little does he know I have his replacement in the brooder! Soon, I'll be searching the forum for good recipes for chicken stew!

My EE Roo is wonderful to his girls, has saved two from hawk attacks, and keeps them together while free ranging. But when he hit 9 months old he started attacking the hubby (who is not a farm animal kind of guy). About a month later he started doing it to me. I've gone the kicking route. I've held him and walked around the yard having a nice conversation about why his name is General Tso. I totally humiliate him in front of the girls. It worked at first, but now he's challenging every couple of days. Little does he know I have his replacement in the brooder! Soon, I'll be searching the forum for good recipes for chicken stew!

Three tactics that didn't work..kicking (a reflexive, defensive action and it has to be severe enough that it sticks in his mind..apparently it didn't), holding him(doesn't happen in his world so it means nothing to him) and humiliating him (there is no such thing, roosters don't have "humiliation" in their vocabulary).

Maybe try the rooster stick and offensive training I've described, in a language he can understand? He sounds like a really good rooster, he just needs to know you hold the top position and are even a potential predator that he should avoid.

Three tactics that didn't work..kicking (a reflexive, defensive action and it has to be severe enough that it sticks in his mind..apparently it didn't), holding him(doesn't happen in his world so it means nothing to him) and humiliating him (there is no such thing, roosters don't have "humiliation" in their vocabulary).

Maybe try the rooster stick and offensive training I've described, in a language he can understand? He sounds like a really good rooster, he just needs to know you hold the top position and are even a potential predator that he should avoid.
Believe me, the kicking was offensive, not defensive. I made sure he ran from me in the end. My husband carries an old crutch with him when he needs to be near the rooster, and the rooster respects the crutch, but he'll still try to attack any time your back is turned and that just won't cut it with me.

My rooster does not bother me now. When I go around him I do turn my back and nothing. He now will walk/ run away from me. I stand and look at him and make sure he knows I am boss. When I feed he acts funny. I just stand and hold my ground and stare at him which makes him nervous. I am not scared of him. If he ever decides to charge me I will kick him. I always stomp my feet and he runs. I think he has the idea. Some times I just do it so he does not for get.

Try what you've read about schooling your rooster and also you might work on your confidence level. Wear long pants and sturdy shoes, stride out like you mean it and don't give way when he is in front of you. Since he attacks from behind, you need to switch this scene....attack him from behind when he least expects it. Just like a rooster does. It's the only language they understand, really, and the only one they are going to recognize you as an authority.

It's your fear and hesitation that marks you as vulnerable, so eliminate those and then go on the offensive instead of the defensive and you shouldn't have any more problems. Every once in a while reinforce this teaching by lunging at him and stomping...make him HOP and run when he least expects he is in danger. Whoever runs is the loser. Since you ran, you lost. Never run again, never back down, keep going forward no matter what he does.

Soon you won't have to do that and you will have a rooster that is always looking over HIS shoulder for you instead of the other way around. It's not too late, if you just take a few minutes of your routine to tend to teaching him the rules of the coop. In the pecking order, you should always be at the top.
I am going to use this because I was so worried about roosters attacking me until I had about decided I didn't even want any roos. So far so good with mine though but they are still young.

Awwwww yer in trouble now.............. with the cutesy, fluffy, diaper wearing silly chicken cult here on the BYC. I'mmmm teellin hehehehe.
LOL@ you two!
lau.gif

Yep, not funny, not cute...not doing it hard enough if he is still biting or coming back for more of the same. Shouldn't have to do it more than once if you are doing it effectively. Got to stop thinking of him as a baby, right now he's in grade school/preteen stage and old enough to be taught a stiff lesson on behavior.

Watch a mature chicken and how they discipline a chick of that age..it isn't gentle and it doesn't have to be repeated. The message is driven home the first time and that chick knows the pecking order right then and there. No blood is drawn and no permanent damage done but the peck is hard enough to make that chick squeal or squeak! If you aren't doing it that hard, you are wasting your time.
Yeah my cockerels are almost 3 months old now (will be the 20 somthing) (RIR's) and one of them bit a plug outta my foot a couple days ago. It turned blue BUT in his defense I THINK he may have been biting at a large hump (calcium deposit I think) I have on the top of my foot and missed it just a bit thank goodness or that thing WOULD HAVE been sore by now. Anyway it hurt so bad I drop kicked him before I thought about it and I was like oh no THAT was NOT what I was suppose to do! :( He squaked and left the area where I was and just stood over there away from me just a looking at me like he was shocked I did that. Didn't offer to come back or hasn't tried it since. Since then I have started watching them since I wasn't sure what his intentions really were. With them being this young I just didn't know because I have some pullets pecking at a spot on my other foot as well. They are just so dang curious. Got to get out my stick and start showing him where he needs to go. ;-) and working with them. I STILL need to get rid of a bunch of roos but just so unsure of which ones to keep. I have like 7 in the BA's and looks like 5 in the RIR's. :( None of my RIR's are staying with the pullets yet when they are free ranging. Been trying to watch them to see WHICH ONES are protective of the pullets and all so I'd know which ones to keep. NEED help in this area.
ALSO in HUMAN language can someone spell HOW one would squak at a rooster? ;-) I know I have heard the pullets go bok....
tongue.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't squawk at a rooster, Rose Marie...he wouldn't understand a word you were saying!
big_smile.png
Hey...how about taking some pics of the roosters you have observed and seem to like the best and start a thread called "Judge my Roosters" so that you can get some input from many people who may be able to pick you out the sturdiest of the bunch. Good side pics and pics from above them will help make the choice and number them out so that folks can vote on the ones they like for conformation, size, feathering, etc. Place that thread in the breed forum and you will have some fun with it all!

Back
Top Bottom