GOT ME A BROODY!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Well, sort of mine. [​IMG]

I've been double-checking the 10 year old's work that my in-laws' hired to care for their place, while they are away...and on Wednesday, I found a VERY grumpy hen sitting on eggs! [​IMG] Man, is she NASTY! I tried to see how many eggs and she actually DREW BLOOD on the back of my hand!

Needless to say, I have NO idea what she is or what she's sitting on--she's black with golden lacing on her, but built similar to an Orp?? Clean legs. She was part of the "rainbow laying" package my MIL got from MMH two years ago.

Needless to say--I'm thinking I may have to get me some eggs & slip them under her!

Houdans
    Silkies
    Bantam Sultans

Anyone???

2. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    I would love to help out but I have broodies too and only 1 frizzle hen laying! Grrrrr!!!!

If you want just 3 or 4, I could do that in 4 days. LOL! If she keeps laying a egg a day! Hhahaha!

They are from Silke roos and a non-broody frizzle hen who is black. [​IMG][​IMG]

Just let me know.

Others might want to chime in because they probably have more eggs. Hahaha!

Tsa

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Congratulations! I know how happy it can be to finally get a broody.

Most of my broodies give angry clucks but don't peck. However I have one that pecks like crazy now, and it hurts!! My advice is to wear a glove and hold the egg in your gloved hand palm DOWN so she doesn't crack the egg.

My other technique for slipping in extra eggs is to distract her with one hand while my other hand slips extra eggs in. I usually set the eggs just next to her and she'll just stare at them until I leave. Five minutes later, if I come back she'll have pulled them all into her nest.

Unfortunately, my BOs have been going broody since spring and it's driving me nuts -- I wish they would stop. But at least this way I get free BO chicks!

4. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats! [​IMG]

Best of Luck!

5. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Congrats to you. I've lost count on how many broodies I've had this year. At present,I have 5 with chicks and 4 setting. All have been marans hens with the exception of one bantam. My other batam usually goes broody around this time,si I expect to have at least one more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by