Got my chicks and have no idea what they are

kingchicks

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 5, 2013
I ordered the rare breed egg layers from Meyer and I have no idea what they are, I looked at the chicks they had pictured in that group but it doesn't show the backs since some of them have patterns.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

From the looks of it I think that you could have:

Red chick- Probably a Buckeye
Black chick- Either a Dominick, or Cuckoo maran
Blue chick- Andalusian, Orpington, or Blue Copper Maran
Chick with a v-stripe going down its back ( in the last picture the one on the far right)- Probably a Welsummer

The other chicks could be:
Campine
Dark Cornish
Sumatra
Black Jersey Giant

Try getting picture of each individual chick, and note what kind of comb they have.
smile.png

Last edited:
From the looks of it I think that you could have:

Red chick- Probably a Buckeye
Black chick- Either a Dominick, or Cuckoo maran
Blue chick- Andalusian, Orpington, or Blue Copper Maran
Chick with a v-stripe going down its back ( in the last picture the one on the far right)- Probably a Welsummer

The other chicks could be:
Campine
Dark Cornish
Sumatra
Black Jersey Giant

Try getting picture of each individual chick, and note what kind of comb they have.
smile.png

X2

1 of these, it has darker feathers than the one below and doesn't have the tan stripes, single comb

4 of these, single comb

2 of these, they are the smallest and the comb is hard to tell maybe rose

1 of these, feathers are blue and white, single comb

1 of these, feathers are black with white speckles, comb is hard to tell, wide with no nubs

1 of these, the feathers are solid black and white, rose comb

2 of these, feathers are blue, single comb

1 with buff colored feathers, possible rose comb

These little peeps wouldn't hold still and it's amazing what happens in 2 days, I didn't see any feathers when I took the group pics. They are 5 days old today

Last edited:
Welsummer or Speckled Sussex
1 of these, it has darker feathers than the one below and doesn't have the tan stripes, single comb
Welsummer or Speckled Sussex
4 of these, single comb
Probably a Golden Campine
2 of these, they are the smallest and the comb is hard to tell maybe rose
Blue Orpington, Andalusian, or Sumatra as chicks they look very similar but you can tell the difference as they grow.
1 of these, feathers are blue and white, single comb
I would say Barred Rock but if you don't see any barred feathers soon then I would guess a Black Sex Link pullet.
1 of these, feathers are black with white speckles, comb is hard to tell, wide with no nubs
I would guess probably a Blue Sumatra, Orpington, or Andalusian I'm not sure why there are white feathers but hatcheries don't have the best quality chicks so it's possible.

1 of these, the feathers are solid black and white, single comb
Blue Andalusian or Orpignton
2 of these, feathers are blue, single comb
Buckeye
1 with buff colored feathers, possible rose comb

These little peeps wouldn't hold still and it's amazing what happens in 2 days, I didn't see any feathers when I took the group pics. They are 5 days old today
Good luck on your chicks! It's sad how they grow so quickly but I find that their personalities become clearer as adults.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom