got my chicks today.. and now they are dead.. GRAPHIC PICTURES

I'm so proud of you! It took alot of courage to go after that critter. I like snakes too, but under those circumstances you did a great job. Keep us posted on the little survivors.
hugs.gif

One of the girls I work with raises exotic birds. She found a python in one of her cages. It had devoured a macaw. The snake was very docile and had to had been someones pet.

Last edited:
wow, that seems like such a long time ago. the ten i have left are getting huge. my two roosters are attempting to crow lol

You did the right thing in my opinion. I wonder if snakes would go after rabbits? I have mine housed outside the chicken coop which is encased with chicken wire and hardware cloth.

We started with the chicken wire but realized our dogs could run right through the door as my husband was building it......haha. So it is doubly enforced with the hard cloth.

But our rabbit is entirely just in its rabbit cage next to them. Should I bring him inside?

Quote:
that sucks. looks like a gopher snake. you guys probably call them rat snakes or corn snakes. anyhow, they are constrictors like boa's and pythons. at least the chicks didn't get eaten alive. maybe keeping some geese around will keep that problem to a minimum.

That sucks, Augiedranch, but you are one badass chick! You absolutely did the right thing. Anything hurts my chicks or chickens is gonna die if I can help it and there won't be any apologies afterwards. And that's from a true animal lover. Just not a stupid one.

So sorry for your loss. Get some sulphur (powder form) and keep a fresh line all the way around the coop, run and brooder area. Snakes will not cross it because it burns their underside.

When it rains or is fading, immediately redo it.

Put 1/4" or 1/2" hardwire cloth around the brooder for sure.

Good luck with getting rid of them.

Back
Top Bottom