Got my coop put back up!!!

kodiakchicken

Songster
11 Years
Apr 18, 2008
Kodiak, Alaska
DH worked all day and got the coop back upright. It still needs a roof and a few little fixes, but it's good enough to keep the birds in tonight - yay!

You should have seen how happy the girls were to get back to their own "bedroom"!

This was definitely a lesson in human nature though. The coop has been turned over on it's back for over a week and not a single one of our neighbors has come over to even ask if the chickens lived through it, let alone offer to help set it up. One set of neighbors probably couldn't tell that the coop had turned over, so I understand them not asking, but our next door neighbor's house is literally 20 feet from the coop!

The person that did end up helping us was the dad of one of my DD's friends that was just dropping his daughter off for a playdate. Other than the girls being friends we've never been particularly close, but he jumped right out and put his time and back into getting it turned over and adjusted.

It wouldn't have bothered me so much, but we are the first ones out there whenever someone's car is in the ditch, their dog is lost or they need someone to watch their house. I guess some people just don't feel the need to reciprocate.

But, at least the coop is back up! Tomorrow we'll put the roof back on and it wll be almost as good as new. Yay!

Congratulations. That must be a relief to get it fixed. I still cannot believe you, in Alaska, had no snow in the pics you posted. We have more than doubled our average snowfall amounts for December. So have you gotten any snow since your windstorm?

Last edited:
Oh I am so glad it is up!!!! I thought of you today (who else thinks of BYC people when something happens??) when I walked outside and the wind was whipping a beaut of a dust storm. I ducked back inside until the wave passed and ran to my car.....

Thanks, you two.

Lurky - it's snowed a couple times during the night but not much and it's always blown off into small drifts. There's not really any snow on the ground right now, but it is cold - in the 20's.

Debbie - I think of BYC people all the time! I was just telling my husband today that Tori's little roo Chip was doing better and that it was warming up on the mainland.

Last edited:
Same here. I talk about people all over the world like I know them and they are my best friends. DW just rolls her eyes and says, "You and your chicken board!"

I'll say something about Miss Prissy or debiraymond or Yappy Fingers, or speckled hen, or Mahonri, or .... and my husband has that same blank stare as if I had suddenly taken up speaking Swahili ...
roll.png

sorry about hijacking, kodiak -- glad you got your coop back up, if I was close enough I'd be there to do what I could to help you. I know what you mean about the "non-reciprocating" part, too... Seems like DH and I go out of our way and fall all over ourselves to help someone, lend money, whatever, but when WE need something, all of our friends (with a very few notable and MUCH appreciated exceptions) are suddenly very busy, or have a touch of a cold, or ... ah, well. Thankfully their response or lack thereof is not why we help others in the first place.
smile.png

Thanks, everyone.

Yep, DH would probably think I was totally insane, talking about the lives of people I've never met, except for two things: 1) he knows I've never met a stranger and 2) he's on an bladesmithing forum and does the exact thing with people he meets there!

crtrlovr - no worries about hijacking the thread. You didn't really. And you're right, reciprocation is not why we do kind things in the first place. It would be nice to see it in return once in awhile though.

Back
Top Bottom